Introduction..

Guest RealMcCoy

Guest RealMcCoy

Hi all.. I just registered, thought I'd pop in and say hi.. My name is Larry, I co-own an auto shop in Oregon. I don't own a Reatta myself, but I'm currently in the process of helping a good friend bring her 88 coupe back from the dead.. I won't go into great detail, but it was a car that she owned several years ago, and holds a great deal of sentimental value, so giving up on it wasn't really an option.

She just got the car back from a friend she sold it to several years ago. It appears that he disassembled the interior attempting to build a rolling boom box, and gave up on the project.. The car was in terrible condition when I went and picked it up. I really didn't hold much faith in it's ever seeing the road again.. The first thing we did was trailer it to the carwash and pressure wash all the moss off of it, then took it to the shop and spent over 7 hours just cleaning the interior parts, and taking inventory of what we had... At that point the prognosis was not too good, we needed a ton of parts, and decided to start looking for a parts car.. (that search was how I found you guys..) By a stroke of shear luck, we found a parts car two blocks away from the shop... I couldn't believe her luck. I had noticed a Reatta being serviced at a shop down the street, and mentioned it to my friend. She stopped by and talked to the shop owner, who put her in touch with his customer, who had a parts car he was willing to sell once he got what he needed. So a deal was made, and her car suddenly had a chance at life..

I'm going to try and talk her into joining the forum herself, but I just wanted to introduce myself because I'm sure that at some point I'll be needing something for this car, as well as sell the parts not used in the build... She wants me to take care of all that because she doesn't have any experience buying and selling on the net, and isn't really familiar with the different parts involved, or their value..

So she's almost got the interior re-assembled, still needs to put the headliner in, (just got that back from the upholstery shop)and put the door panels back on. I actually got it running last weekend. Still a lot of work to do, But it looks like it's going to live...

So anyway, Thought I'd just share the story, and let you know who I am, so if you see any WTB/WTT/WTS posts by me in the buy/sell area you'll know what it's about..

BTW, just a little bit of personal trivia.. I was actually working as a tech for a Buick dealer in 87/88 when these cars debuted.. They were definitely a technological feat of their time..

Thanks,

Larry.

Welcome Larry,

It sounds like you have your hands full, but are off to a good start. Definately have your customer join this Great Forum. Between you and the experts on this forum, the lady's Reatta will be road worthy in no time. Also, if you would list the year/color (coupe or convt.) & vin. number.

Again Welcome & Good Luck.

Guest RealMcCoy

Thanks for the warm welcome guys... I'll let Amy post the VIN to her car if/when she joins up. I'll post some pics when I get a chance... I wish we would have taken before pics, it's pretty amazing how far it's come already. The car is a white coupe with burgundy interior.

The two Reattas in the parking lot sparked some reminiscing today with the rep from my parts supplier... He was working as a salesman at the same Buick dealer as me when these cars debuted... We were remembering how they were marketed, and how hard they were to get, all the hype about the electronics.. It's pretty easy to forget how ahead of their time they were when you compare them to modern technology..

Thanks again,

Larry.

• 11 months later...
Guest RealMcCoy

Hey guys, I'm bumping my old intro to say hi again... The Reatta project got sidelined for quite a while, so I haven't been back for a while. Amy's in the middle of trying to buy a house, so she isn't spending a lot of time on the car, and while I agreed to help her with the project, I'm not going to do it for her... :D

We did get the parts car stripped out and I'll be hauling it off to the crusher next week. It will be nice to get that parking spot back at the shop :) (The wrecked one wasn't the most attractive thing to have hanging out in the lot..)

I'll be posting an ad in the classifieds shortly... Got plenty of extra parts, and need a few things.

While I doubt I'll be an extremely active member, I'll be more than happy to help out in any way I can. I'm an auto tech with over 25 years of experience, including many years of experience building automatic transmissions, and quite a bit of GM experience. While There are many here have much more Reatta specific knowledge than I do, anyone looking for help with diagnostic strategy or repair procedures is more than welcome to PM me.

Thanks,

Larry.

NP, best be aware that Buick slipstreamed in quite a few changes including within the model year (can think of three in 88 alone) plus the TSBs. This is why the VINs are helpful. Even though Red/Tan was most common in early 88, white/red shows up by 0129.

BTW the electronic modules (many) and ABS sensors are easy to store and the window glass is very expensive. Both should be saved before sending to the crusher.

Guest RealMcCoy
NP, best be aware that Buick slipstreamed in quite a few changes including within the model year (can think of three in 88 alone) plus the TSBs. This is why the VINs are helpful. Even though Red/Tan was most common in early 88, white/red shows up by 0129.

BTW the electronic modules (many) and ABS sensors are easy to store and the window glass is very expensive. Both should be saved before sending to the crusher.

I haven't pulled the rear glass yet... I guess that would be a good idea, It's real PITA cutting that urethane without damaging the glass. after I got the front glass out I was not motivated to move on to the rear one... :D All the modules are out. I wasn't aware that the ABS sensors were Reatta specific, I guess I'll go ahead and yank them too...

Thanks

Hi and welcome,

For Barney----What is the Vin # of the Reatta on the way to the crusher ?

I'll get and post that info before it goes away...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RealMcCoy

Well I got some pics uploaded. One shot of the white car that will eventually live again, and a couple shots of the parts car before and after getting stripped.

Looking for a bit of advice... I have an add in the buy/sell forum for a lot of the parts, I haven't added the rear glass yet. I honestly have no idea what it's worth. Anyone care to give me a little input? I like to price stuff to sell, I'm not interested in sitting on it for years waiting for the opportunity to come along when someone needs it bad enough to pay a premium price...

reatta1.jpg

reatta3.jpg

reatta4.jpg

reatta2.jpg

Guest Richard D
I haven't pulled the rear glass yet... I guess that would be a good idea, It's real PITA cutting that urethane without damaging the glass. after I got the front glass out I was not motivated to move on to the rear one... :D All the modules are out. I wasn't aware that the ABS sensors were Reatta specific, I guess I'll go ahead and yank them too...

FYI, I recently had the windsheild replaced in my 90 coupe and the bill came to over $1,700.00 for a new Pilkington. Thank You State Farm. When Padgett says glass is expensive he knows of what he speaks.