16v Story (i just sent this to Hemi)

Guest LouZ

Using a phrase we used in the '50s & '60s: The 16v runs like a "Raped Ape". I brought it into Town to "Show Off". I was telling all in Town Hall that the car was "Ugly Fast". When I was leaving, the Town Manager asked me to "Give Them a Show". I told them I would if the street was clear. ( this is on the main street, right in the heart of Town ) The Town Manager, Town Treasurer, Town Clerk, were all standing around the front window of Town Hall when I left. The street was clear, I pulled out from the parking spot, and then NAILED IT, When it was time to shift to second gear I released the throttle, looked behind to a small cloud of heavy blue smoke. When I returned later I saw a black mark from Town Hall to the corner (1/2 block). Town Manager says "I'm Impressed". and a friend wants to race me with his '06 Vette.

I will not be using it much until next spring. It's pretty much put away till then. Lou

Alan, I do not Know about any of the individual parts. I have a lot of invoices from dealears of previous work done to the car. 1 inv. does list a replaced "SEMEC". Another lists repaint of the Top. There is a copy of a letter to Chrysler Dealer, District, Headquarters, and Iacocca. Complaining of poor performance. I have no idea what that lead to..When I took off from Town Hall, I just put it in gear, and creeped out around the car parked in front of me, till I was almost straight, and then just Stomped it, I didn't clutch it or any other enhancing move.

Officialdom = Town Manager, & Town Clerk are about 40-45 yrs old, Town Treas. is about 30, All Ladies, Police Chief is about 50, drives an unmarked white Hemi something. He often gives me a quiet poke and whispers "Drive Fast" with a grin.I am 73, I had and used a SCCA Unlimited Competition liscense. In the '60s I drove Pomona, & Riverside..OH Yes; I am also on the Town Council Advisory Committee. I don't get no stinkin tickets...

I love "Small Town America"! ! ! (I'm an original native of NYC) Lou

Alan,

In those days Pomona (Los Angeles County Fair Grounds) Entrance was on White Ave. I think, just up from Holt Blvd. (Rt60) The Drag strip (open every Sunday) was at the western end seperated from the roadway by an 8' anchor fence. SCCA ran a road race there once a year. I lived on the south edge of town. That was the Chino border. Lou

Hi Hemi, Just got back to town & opened this up.

Yep, you are correct. After doing the "burnout" in front of Town Hall, I called the Town Mgr., asked if she really expected this "73 yr. old kid" to actually do that.?

She did..... Lou

Hey Hemi,

You drove the car. Does it perform as original; or has it a little more than that.???? ~ Also ~ Before I got so full of arthritis I used to look for excuses to work on them. I just never had the opportunity to work on these. Lou

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LouZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Hemi,

You drove the car. Does it perform as original; or has it a little more than that.???? Lou </div></div>

How about you install a boost gauge Lou and verify what I already suspect wink.gif it has an upgraded SMEC/ECU cool.gif

Alan

Yeah, kinda what I figured. ~ But ~ nothing is better than conferring with the guy that had his hands in it.(maybe also his foot). I have given it no thought; Have you found a good place to put the positive manifold pressure gauge. Does anyone make a good kit you suggest, Any other hints I should know.?