25 years ???

Guest ChopShopCustoms

It is hard to accept the fact we are getting old.

We live in denial when the cars we grew up with are now antiques, and we want to argue.

Trimacar recalled that in 1964 only pre WW2 cars were considered antiques. If I do the math correct, that makes those 1942 cars only 22 years old back in 64.

Has anything really changed?

I say enjoy the hobby, no matter what age car, trips your trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron42Dodge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say enjoy the hobby, no matter what age car, trips your trigger. </div></div>

I agree. It doesn't matter how old, ugly, pretty, cheap or expensive a vehicle is. If it is well cared for or restored the owner is preserving a piece of automotive history. Hopefully someday the auto makers will get back to making cars that folks can tell by looking what they are. Too many of the "cookie cutter" designers out there. In that vein the older cars are more interesting to look at. It isn't "if you have seen one you have seen them all".

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron42Dodge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is hard to accept the fact we are getting old.

We live in denial when the cars we grew up with are now antiques, and we want to argue.

Trimacar recalled that in 1964 only pre WW2 cars were considered antiques. If I do the math correct, that makes those 1942 cars only 22 years old back in 64.

Has anything really changed?

I say enjoy the hobby, no matter what age car, trips your trigger. </div></div>

You really know you are getting old when toys you played with as a child show up in the antique stores and cost more than they did when new! grin.gif

Yes Bill and it hurts when you look at the comic books that you had by the box full that are now worth big $ per issue, Sgt. Rock, Sgt. Fury, Haunted Tank etc. When I go antiquing and browse a shop and see items there for sale that you had, played with and used everyday it does make you realize that time is marching on.

Big Beat says: QUOTE: There were only about 5 pre-war cars out of about 500 cars total and the 1950's cars were mostly represented only by the '55-'57 Chevys. UNQUOTE - Actually Big Bear it's the opposite here in Florida where I live. My all original, restored 1939 Buicks are looked at as "those funny looking old cars" at these cruise-in's, so I just don't go.

QUOTE: I realize that a small local show is no Hershey, but it is far more indicative of the general trend. THIS is what most people call "antique". UNQUOTE That's okay with me, as I have both a 71 Riviera and an 81 Riviera, but it's still a shame that my old cars receive no consideration at these cruise-in's. Worse, these cruise-in's are the only game in town, and 95% of the cars, especially the older ones, are street rods.

QUOTE: I too find 1950's and older cars far more interesting and collectible. But in a few months, my '79 will be 30 years old. Back when it was brand new, people were already buying and restoring "antique cars" that were far less than 30 years old at that time, and nobody was saying they weren't old enough. Just how old does an old car have to be before it's percieved as old, anyway? UNQUOTE Oh yes they were, those folks my father's age. I feel like I've been through a time warp.

Dynaflash8, I will slightly disagree with you. Frankly I think the mid to late thirties cars are some of the classiest looking cars, unless the grill and trim are painted. (Got to love the chrome.)

What I am seeing is the hobbiests are finding they would rather drive the newer, more reliable car, maybe with air conditioning, rather than taking the challange and driving something old. That is why we see less of the old stuff anymore. To much work. It's no more work than it was five years ago, we're just getting older.

I admire anyone that takes the old iron out to the shows. What I usually see is young kids and older adults like to look at the old stuff. Now teens and twenties love the muscle and who can blame them. There is interest at all levels and all ages.

There is a tendancy to like to restore what you learned to drive with, or something the year you were born. Because of that, as each day passes the cars at shows get newer.

But that shouldn't mean the teens 20s, 30s, 40s will need to get scraped because nobody cares. Quite the opposite. Frankly it is hard to imagine that many of todays cars will be around for the next generation to restore.

The trick may be to get this generation interested in the old stuff. Create memories for them in these cars by taking them for a drive, in a parade, to a car show or as some are doing, crossing the country with a grandson or daughter. Build a pioneer passion in them.

Those that grew up with the progression of the automobile from a motorised carriage, to an all steel car to almost all plastic are mostly gone now. In their day you carried tools and clothing anticipating a breakdown, and you could fix or improvise most problems.

These talents and abilities to meet the challange were passed down to you and now we need to pass them down to the next generation. The schools certainly aren't pushing hands on type work. But there is nothing more rewarding than dragging an old car that hasn't been driven for 30 years, restoring it, and then have someone spend a few minutes admiring it.

The best thing you can do to display an old car is to accessorise it. Trinkets that tell people what was important in life at the time. If you can take them back in time, they will get more of an appreciation of what life was like at that time. They don't understand that cars didn't come standard with turn signals, radios, electric wipers, etc, unless you tell them.

A little history can go a long way in an old car display.

I didn't mean to go on this long.

Bottom line, keep bringing the old stuff out. Otherwise you are caving into your age. (Challange intended)

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron42Dodge</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> .... What I am seeing is the hobbiests are finding they would rather drive the newer, more reliable car, maybe with air conditioning, rather than taking the challange and driving something old. That is why we see less of the old stuff anymore. To much work. It's no more work than it was five years ago, we're just getting older.

The trick may be to get this generation interested in the old stuff. Create memories for them in these cars by taking them for a drive, in a parade, to a car show or as some are doing, crossing the country with a grandson or daughter. Build a pioneer passion in them.

In their day you carried tools and clothing anticipating a breakdown, and you could fix or improvise most problems.

Bottom line, keep bringing the old stuff out. Otherwise you are caving into your age. (Challange intended)</div></div>

My Galaxie is 45 years old. I drive it to the mountains, in parades, and show it. I carry tools in case it breaks down. My neices and nephew love riding in it.

What's old? It all in your point of view.

While most people prefer the cars of their youth, not everybody does. I was born in 1960 and my primary antique car is a 1929 Ford Model A Phaeton. The Phaeton is a Senior Grand National Winner and we also drove it over 500 miles on the last Sentimental Tour. The tour was more fun than any car show. My 10 year old daughter loves the car and has already told her 20 year old brother that the Phaeton is HERS when I die and not his.

I do also have a 1976 Ford Country Squire wagon that I bought after the Sentimental Tour (since the weather was in the 90's during most of the tour) to drive when I needed air conditioning due to my wife being disabled.

At local shows, the Country Squire attracts a lot of attention. It seems that almost every family had one like it or similar to it and lots of spectators want to talk abou their memories of their childhood in a wagon. So, their is room in the hobby (and my garage) for a lot of variety. The 25 year rule is an excellent rule. All years of history need to be remembered.

I have to agree with Dynaflash's comment about "used cars." To me, it was very insulting and unbecoming of AACA when a national awards judge and former AACA president said at a judges breakfast that he was insulted to be judging class 27M for national awards. He said "those cars don't belong on a Hershey show field. They belong on a used car lot."

Personally, the reason that I have newer collector cars is that I can identify with them. I'm a young'en at 31 so I don't remember seeing cars of the 30's and 40's driving on the streets near my home. A good friend in high school had a 70 Monte Carlo and my parents had one when they were new and I just liked them. My best friend and his family have 27 cars: mostly Oldsmobiles and some Hudsons from the 50's. I really like them, too.

I will admit that the longer that I'm in the hobby, the more I'm drawn to the pre-war iron ... yes I do mean WWII and not Vietnam! My fiance and I have been talking about doing another car and while I want a 50's car for cruising, she would like to have something older. We looked long and hard at a 39 Ford coupe in the Car Corral at the Charlotte meet this spring.

There are two things that have drawn me to the 30's era. First is simplicity. Finding parts is difficult, but I think that the cars were much simpler. Second is the art-deco styling. The styling would go nicely with my vintage fountain pen collection!

It takes all types to make this hobby. We as restorers are preserving a piece of history, assuming that we restore the cars to the factory standards. The street rodders and muscle car modifiers may introduce more people to the hobby because they drive their cars more often to cruise nights. To me, it really doesn't matter as long as we learn to get along and realize that we all have a place.

"First is simplicity. Finding parts is difficult, but I think that the cars were much simpler.

Stan, you need to consider a Model A Ford. They are simple, but they made enough of them that you can still find parts easily. Also, almost every part you could need is being reproduced and the prices are fairly reasonable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate renewing every year and changing the sticker. i have 5 cars with Historical plates and 4 of them cost more as historical plates</div></div>Ted, what we did was priced the plates on the individual vehicles. Our Plymouth pickup is cheaper to put on the road with regular plates than it is historical, so we have regular plates with two year registrations.

In the case of our fire truck, the historical plates is a HUGE savings because of the weight issue. In two short weeks I expect to take delivery of another fire truck ('49 American LaFrance ladder truck). That truck is tipping the scales at 30,000 lbs. The historical plates will also be a huge savings.

There are good points and bad points to the historical versus regular plates on your vehicle. Your best bet is to find the plates that work to your advantage. If I were you I wouldn't be going with historical plates if it's costing you more to do it.

It sure was hot on that Sentimental Tour Mr. Hinson. That's why it is usually in the Spring or Fall, and I suspect it was not supposed to be that hot in NC the first week of June. I remember freezing to death at a club picnic in VA in June. That fact that Sentimental Tour cars do not normally have any of the creature comforts we've become used to is why it was formed -- so there would be a reason and opportunity to step back in time to the World War II and post-War era and enjoy them. By the way, I've been back through NC a couple of times since, and fortunately didn't see you in my rear view mirror, haha. I remember what you do for a living. Isn't it wonderful how we make friends on these tours? I have to agree with most of what the 42 Dodge man has said. All of what he said worked fine for me when I lived in Maryland and Virginia, but I have to drive 50-125 miles to the nearest antique car activity here in Florida. I drove the yellow '39 Buick to Orlando on a 95-degree day and it wanted to vapor lock before I could get back home -- which I overcame by pumping the gas until it cleared. The new gas is not helping either. Maybe I should consider electric fuel pumps -- but I hate to give in. As for long haul driving, try to find parts, or worse yet, try to find a mechanic when you're far from home who has ever heard of a torque tube. I know you have a good point about driving my cars to local cruise-in's in spite of being the only original pre-war car there; but, after years of having them appreciated, it seems to be just depressing to take them where all of their contemporaries have been transformed into cars they never were. As for the 25 year rule, it is good; I was there working to make it happen 35-40 years ago. And, I use it too; even though it doesn't seem the 81 Riviera is really that old -- but it is -- when it's hard to get parts it's old. And with these progressing years, that trip to Orlando feels pretty good with A/C. I've tried several different 50's cars like I had as regular drivers in my youth, and it seems that my brain remembers them as better driver's then my current experience agrees with.

No Earl, it is not normally that hot in NC in June. But, even with the heat, it was a great tour! I know how you feel about that 1981 Riviera. I really should have kept the 1981 Riviera that I used to have. I traded it in for 1986 Riviera and that was a mistake. I have bought and sold several Riviera's since, but have not found the right one at the right price in the right condition at the right time to put one back in the garage. One day, Hopefully, I will have another 1979-1985 Riviera.

>>>>There is a tendancy to like to restore what you learned to drive with

This is certainly true in my case, as my first car was a '79 Monte, so I bought my current one because it was like coming home after 20 years. The age of the car wasn't an issue that influenced my choice, it's not as if I have any special affinity for 70's cars in general, just this specific one.

But I owned 50's and 60's cars in the past, cars made before I was born. And if I ever have the time & money to have more than one old car at a time, I'd like something even older, maybe even pre-war. Not because of any personal significance, but just because I like the style. And also because I prefer the unique and the different, something that's not just another street rod or muscle car like a zillion others.

Well Matt, I do like the way the 81 Riv drives, but you probably wouldn't want this one. It has a 4.1, 252 cid V-6 with a 4-barrel carb. But, I find it moves out smartly.

I've had a number of cars since I sold my 66 Chrysler Newport convertible and none have seemed to find the same place in my heart or garage. I should have put a timing chain in the Chrysler and kept it. Drove it 39K miles on tours. But at the moment I do like the Riv. After the 71 Riv is on the road, I may sell it to cut my upkeep and maintenance.

Good for you Big Beat. I learned to drive on my Dad's 1951 Plymouth, and used it a few times dating, but I never developed any affinity to it. In fact it was the only non-Buick he ever owned in my lifetime, or after 1932.

Anyway, it was the car before the Plymouth that I loved, a 1939 Buick Special sedan they had from 1941-1951. When I got my first car in 1955 it was a 1939 Buick Special sedan.

But then I gave in to girlfriends and got a newer car, first a 1952 Plymouth Belvedere, then a 1955 Ford Fairlane, then a 1956 Ford Cumstomline and finally a 1958 Buick Special. I had a 1939 Buick in 1957 that I bought for $15 and kept awhile, and another one in 1959 that I bought for $40 that I drove for a year or so as a second car, but I didn't get Suzybelle (who became a Grand National Senior in 2000) until 1963. She cost me $120 (in the beginning). Now I've got four 1939 Buick Specials, including a convertible sedan and a convertible coupe. You sound young, at least by comparison to my 70 years, so whatever you want will come to you in time. Just keep the faith.

As a "forty-something" (but just barely) member, I think it's great that AACA defines an "antique" as a 25-year old vehicle--in my opinion it helps to keep the hobby fresh, as younger people, with later-era car interests, feel welcomed to participate. We've been having fun being AACA members and showing our '50s VW (and now '73 Ford Pinto too, now that it's HPOF-eligible) ever since 1986 or so, and no plans to stop! Keep up the good work AACA.

Earl, I think I will want the replacement Riviera to have black exterior paint and a V8 just like the one that I had before. I never should have sold that car. The transmission left me stranded once, and after having the transmission rebuilt by a guy (on my father-in-law's recommendation) who I did not quite trust, I did not trust it and sold it. That was in the day when any time I had to have a car towed, I got mad at the car and sold it. I have owned a few similar cars since, but never found the one to keep forever.

Steve, enjoy your Pinto, but make sure it has had whatever safety retrofit they came out with on the gas filler hose. I fondly remember the Pinto wagon that my mother had. (As a law enforcement officer and a former Rescue Squad member, I also have seen the devastating effect of a couple of rear end collisions involving Pintos.)

Dynaflash8,

thanks. I'm 40 and have been into old cars for as long as I can remember. My father taught me how to do my own maintenance and simple repairs on our family cars since I was about 10, and it only snowballed from there. I learned to drive on my uncle's '67 Chevelle, which was just a used car then but already a year or two older than me. I used to go to junkyards and collect emblems off of old cars. Inherited a collection of old car books from a Model T owner (sadly, the car was sold before I ever had the chance to see it). By the time I bought my own car at 17, it was a '79 Chevy only because I couldn't afford a '56 Packard smile.gif