1934 dodge freewheeling transmission

sfcnomad

It may come as a surprise (or maybe not!) that the freewheel was a popular feature on luxury British cars well into the 1960's!!. I remember the great pleasure I had in driving my father's Mk11 Austin Princess Vanden Plas 3 litre with the freewheel giving clutch less gear changes...so smooth! There was obviously a downside to not having the benefit of engine braking so one would knock it back into normal drive on the hills. An automatic transmission option was slow to be adopted here however the later cars with the 4 litre Rolls Royce engine all had it. A quiet refined and comfortable car with acres of wood and leather - even had fold down polished walnut picnic tables in the back! Happy days!.

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Is this the same as the "vacuum clutch"? If not, I need info on both! Wish I could help, but I need the same info. Mine was disconnected at some point and I need to find out where all connections are/were so that I can double check to make sure everything is sealed up. I am assuming that it can be disconnected with no ill effects?

There is a unit (vacuum) on eBay, I was going to try and get in touch with seller to see if he has any information.

Will keep you posted- would appreciate the same.

Here is a picture of mine that was on my 33 Plymouth 2 dr. PD....small arm connected to clutch pedal arm, and vacuum would depress clutch on its own, ( speed of the engine generated vacuum ).......it did work on my 33...

post-70464-143142236497_thumb.jpg

Hi Knobless,

Would you know if the control valve and pendulum assembly are the same parts as those used on 1932 Chryslers? The vacuum cylinder is similar but I think they used one without the external clamps for these cars.

Regards

Fergus

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...