Broken Antenna

Tax Man

My power antenna broke last weekend. I was wondering if I could keep the antenna down and still have the radio work without it. also I have to disconnect the battery because the antenna motor tries to retract the broken plastic wire that rises and retracts the antenna. Does anyone know how to stop the motor while keeping the radio working? If not where can I get a reliable new antenna for relativly cheap, besides ebay and the Reatta junk yard in Arizona. I think they charge way too much. They have you by the balls because they are the only place for reatta parts. A new headlight acctuater shouldnt cost 100 dollars, its a inch long peice with a screw welded on one end and a bolt welded on he other.

Guest Bobby Valines

I'm sure you can buy a universal power antenna from a auto parts store, don't know the cost. My 89 has one from the previous owner, the problem I'm having ( or should i say they had )is where the main frequency wire comes out from the antenna doesn't mach the one that comes from the radio. They just stuck the two ends together that don't mach and taped it. I just lesson to the ipod I hooked up so it hasn't bothered me much. I haven't researched this yet but ill be watching your post hope someone can help us. Wonder if there's a adepter that can be bought.

Mine is stuck up and I have asked around alot about the universal's and no one recommends them.

Jim Finn might have one in stock.ebay and also they can be orderd from a place that still carry's GM back stock and out of production parts.

As far as the fuse it does NOT control the radio because when i pulled mine out to check it before i realized the antenna itself was bad the radio work fine it was just the motor.yes its the grey thing going into if im not mistaken

its right next to it with a few wires coming from it and its plugged in facing upward

oh man! i could totally see myself breaking my antenna that way ha ha. Im gonna take the fuse out next time im at home, im in college right now majoring in automotive industry management currently learning about engines and electronics ironicly. driving my dads rust bucket '85 chevy s10. keeping my reatta safe in my garage at home.

The antenna mast with the "weed eater" line listed has been discontinued. Try 22038195 or 22039349, the difference is the length of the line but it is not enough to make a difference. The price is around $20 at any GM dealer.

If you have a bent or damaged lower mast sections (the mast has three sections, small upper, medium size middle, and larger lower) and you are working on a '88-90, those parts are not available.

GM changed the size of the mast in 1991. They went from a .300 diameter lower section to .250 lower section. Then shortly discontinued the replacement parts for the earlier part. Sometimes you can find good mast part on cars in the salvage yard.

You can also change the entire mast assembly (the part that is not the black plastic motor/gear box) If you find a good one in the salvage yard, you can use either the old or new design with your old motor/gear box.

Tax Man,

There's a used antenna for the Reatta (original GM) on e-bay motors for sale, guaranteed to work. Buy it now price is $65.00. Item # 320316163653. Don't know the seller. Feedback looks good. Just FYI.

I pull the power connector at the relay on mine, just leave up about 4" if going to listen to the radio which is rare or son is going to drive. Is pleanty for the local FM stations and easy (relay is on Antenna mast), just pull down the trunk carpet and there it is.

• 3 months later...

Hey Bobby....I have a 1989 Buick Riviera.....I was wondering if you could show me/tell me how to install an iPod directly to the factory radio and the touch control screen. Is it possible? I tried a wireless FM transmitter adapters, but they do not work. I was wondering if it is even possible to direct connect an ipod to the stock system. Any help is appreciated greatly!

Guest Bobby Valines

AarOn if the riviera is the same as the reatta it is very easy. Remove the cassette find the speaker wires that go in to the radio ( if you can wait ill take mine out to tell you what color they are or if someone can chime in ) Connect a speaker wire to them ( I just used small wire nuts ) plan on how long you want it. Connect a jack to the other end that works for the speaker only ipod. The only bad thing is that you have to connect your cassette back in just for the first time and turn it on then unplug it and will be fine till you disconnect battery, then you will have to do it again. I hope you enjoy it as much as i do.

Tax Man ...

As mentioned, most often the problem with them is that the cable is broken inside the unit. If the motor runs but the antenna does not go up then that is likely the problem. To check pull the carpet away from passenger side wheel well inside the trunk and listen to determine if the motor is running when the car/radio is on. Even if money is tight you have options ... here are three:

1. Buy a mast kit as described in the info listed on Reatta Data site (Barney has provided you with the info). This option has not worked for me personally but Barney and others have had some success. Like someone mentioned you may want to Check with Barney … could be he still rebuilds them for folks … I simply do not know. Price to buy a Kit is approximately $30.00 at a GM Dealership. Do not do what I recenlty did; i.e., screw with it trying to make it fit until it broke ... I tossd $27.00 right out the window. If the Kit does not fit properly and extend the mast smoothly simply put it back in the bag and return it.

2. Buy a new one. $118.00 plus shipping gmpartsdirect.com or at the dealership $172.00 (Buick Club discount)

3. Junkyard. I’ve been very lucky in this regard. Since there are a number of GM cars over a few year period that used the same unit with only a different bracket I have always been able to find an Antenna. In fact, I always keep a spare on hand (I do as we speak). There is a caveat, however, since the economic crunch the two local junkyards have been picked clean so recently I had to rework an Antenna. It had a different fender mount. Our Reatta Antenna is held in place with a short rubber grommet and a retaining nut on the outside of the car whereas on some GM cars the Antenna is held in place on the fender with a long grommet. Those have a different part to go through the fender that tightly slips into that grommet. That piece can be removed and replaced with the screw-type a Reatta has (take one off of a broken Antenna at the junkyard. I can better describe this process if necessary. At one junkyard the Antenna cost $11.00 … the other jumped all of their prices due to supply and demand (uh, greed) so theirs cost $18.00.

See ya, John in Sarasota, Florida

One problem we are seeing with the replacement flex part is the crimp where the plastic enters the base of the shaft.

Note in the picture the left end...you will see small stakes.

When the housing is staked, it is being distorted and it becomes out of round. When you install the part into the other antenna sections, it binds...sometime the distortion is so bad, the parts will not go together.

To salvage the parts, I carefully reshape with a plastic hammer until that are round. I have also found rough edges on the stampings that do not allow the parts to slide freely. It appears GM may be getting the assemblies from the Far East or Mexico and the quality is not as good as it was.

You can make the parts work but for the price we pay, they should fit without rework.

post-30596-143138047909_thumb.jpg