Does anyone need Wide Whitewall tires???

Guest Skyking

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know what aggravated me, Bob? Those tire companies could be doing this on their own and make these new cars look a lot better. It wouldn't cost hardly anything extra. I guess they're following the Automobile Companies, in not giving us what we want.

Wayne </div></div>

Yea but Wayne, they won't look European............. blush.gif

Americans don't want whitewalls anymore. If you happen to see a new car with a set on it, the car looks weird.

Guest Leonard Shepherd

Wayne

Yea but Wayne, they won't look European............. blush.gif

Americans don't want whitewalls anymore. If you happen to see a new car with a set on it, the car looks weird.

I saw this new GMC truck at the Northern Neck car show. I think it looks good!

post-52673-143138018892_thumb.jpg

Guest bkazmer

whitewalls are made by using a mineral filler in the rubber compound instead of carbon black, and laminating the white strip into the carcass of the tire. The window between the overlapping black rubber strips determines the visible ww width. So all this guy is doing is grinding away the tire's sidewall - yes, this is weakening the tire! In addition, the way he is doing it leaves torn area (crack initiation) in the sidewall.

The tire companies and OEM's are not in an anti-whitewall conspiracy with West. They make what will sell. If you don't like it, you can buy a different tire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leonard Shepherd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw this new GMC truck at the Northern Neck car show. I think it looks good!

</div></div>

It looks like it's wearing spats.

OK for Mr. Peanut, goofy on anything else whistle.gif

I just went to the International Auto Show to see all the 2009

cars from America and elsewhere.

Impressions:

Only one car with whitewalls (Mercury Grand Marquis, (only a 3/8 ww)

They all looked just like the 2007 and 2008's.

Sticker prices were rediculous.

Not enough chrome on any of them.

Mileage was no better than I get on my 2003 & 2006.

I saw no reason to buy more of the same old thing.

Two cars that I might consider when found used but clean in

a few years. #1 Saturn Sky #2 Subaru Outback

(know what they had in common? CHROME !)

Both would look better with wide whitewalls too.

Just my opinion.

When I was a kid I could still buy whitewall paint and always tried to get my used tires to end up with the same width whitewalls. Now I can't get that paint and "portawalls" don't work on radial tires. Thank goodness for Diamondback Classic's

who will put any size whitewal on any size tire.

When I to lazy to clean whitewalls they should take my driver's license and send me to the Geezer Home.

Sorry Matt, I had to go to Richmond to pick up laptop from my "striper". blush.gifsmile.gif

It'll debut in Philly, if anyone wants to see it. Looks a little weird like that pickup truck above. grin.gif

Sorry you don't like it West. Everyone has an opinion, not all alike, naturally.

Thanks for the picture, Leonard. I didn't realize you had taken that. crazy.gif

Wayne

Guest Leonard Shepherd

Is that your truck Wayne?

When I went to the Cadillac show at the Capitol Cadillac dealership, I saw several new Cadillacs with these type of whitewalls.

post-52673-143138018951_thumb.jpg

post-52673-143138018953_thumb.jpg

Say, Do they still use asbestos in the cord of tires nowadays??? Cough.....Cough.... sick.gif Or just steel belts...cough.... crazy.gif

I like the white walls of the 30's 40's and 50's better myself, with that nice wide white area. wink.gif Dandy Dave!

I suppose "sportier" means no chrome, no whitewalls, and "classy" is out the window. Some cars would look really nice with stainless or aluminum wheelwell mouldings and thin whitewalls. I really like the red tire stripe on the picture from Leonard. It has that "Covette history" and puts some dimension into the black tire. I'm not much for tiny tires and huge chrome wheels but it depends on the car.

I think that the remnant of the Crown Victoria would be a nicer car if they took some trim history from the Ford/Mercurys of the late 1980s and early 90s. It looks like a police car. They will tell you it makes the car lighter....and so do the plastic valve covers!!

The new 2009 Buicks I noticed are starting to return to a classier interior. They take their cues from Mercedes and Lexus with the faux wood trim. They also have some body trim that is silver but no whitewalls yet.

Guest Skyking

My question is, if the tire already has the white in it, then why in he$$ does Coker and the rest charge $150.00 a tire????

Are we just stupid?

Guest bkazmer

The white strip is left out (resulting in a slightly stronger construction) if the tire is designed as a blackwall.

(West, yet another argument for blackwalls)