WANTED 1929-30 Steering gear

odyssey

Hi Tom, The Gemmer steering boxes are almost never in useable condition. They have several design flaws that cause severe pitting of the worm bearing. They also tend to have roller and sector shaft problems. Jon Cislak of classic auto restoration has just started a Gemmer box overhaul and improvment project, and is advertising on the Pierce Arrow Society website for rebuilding the boxes with all new bearings, and removing the bushings and installing needle bearings. You can reach him at 413-543-9017 during east coast business hours. Good Luck ..... Ed

Thanks Ed, I'll give John a call. With enough interest, new worms and rollers can be made, but it takes a run of 50 and a sacrificial gearbox. Dick Pratt has done it for the Gemmer box in 1930-32 Franklins and the new parts are wonderful, but it will be a while before he uses up the 1st 50 sets. With little hope of getting new parts for my project, I am hoping to find decent used ones.

Tom Rasmussen

Odyssey Restorations, Inc.

The Gemmer box in the Franklin is much lighter than the Pierce box. Usually the worm is good, just the bearing surface for the upper and lower race are bad. John has a few boxes for parts, give him a ring...Ed