Transmission ID please

Hupp 31

A buddy has this transmission. It has been in his garage for probably 20 years and was removed from an old hot rod. Can anyone help identify it? On the right side are cast in the case R114-1B, WG DIV,M7-8,SB, and on the left side are cast in the case 12*29, 412234.It appears to be an overdrive.

post-50591-143138018285_thumb.jpg

post-50591-143138018304_thumb.jpg

Guest prof pat

I would not trust ANYONE, who states he knows what it is and wants to buy it. Find out what it fits first, and what it is worth, then if you are going to sell it, sell it at market!!!

Actually, I'm more interested in the machine work that was done to adapt the topshift to an otherwise mundane transmission. I gave away, as in for free, the very same transmission to a friend of mine this summer, and he and I have had several discussions about a top shift adaptation. Is this some piece of rare racing history like the 63 Pontiac Tempest with no drivetrain some guy threw up on ebay for $500, NO. Is it valuable? NO. Shipping alone would probably be an awakening. I tried to sell the tranny I had on ebay, twice, not even one bid. The mainshaft gears on this tranny are notorious for bad bearings, which is why my friend needed another tranny having already found 3 bad mainshafts in the ones he had. So is this modified (read - beaten to death by a streetrodder, then removed and stored in the garage for 20 years) really worth big bucks? Not to me. In fact, you can try to buy it from him, especially since you infer that the seller should know its worth millions.

And don't forget to add the value of a removed(plugged?) solenoid port, and of course the modified speed/engagement govenor (likely part of the lightweight = more speed plan), and the obvious enginearin' that went into the baling wire holding the lockout pivot into position. And I can't tell from the pictures what enginearin' has been dun to the output shaft, but its not the way the real engineers built it.

Guest prof pat

Well you can write all of the words that you want, but you did not say the application of the trans. I have no idea what it fits, but why not just tell him. Your members here will judge you, or know to say away from you in buying and selling. What I inferred, no what I said was "I WOULD NOT TRUST YOU, THUS I WOULD NOT BUY OR SELL ANYTHING FROM OR TO YOU!!!"

I do not know anything about the transmission other than what I have stated before. A friend just wanted to know what it may have originally been in or for. I do not know if he wants to sell it or not. It has been a question for years among some of the guys as to its original use. After we find out what it is i will turn over the information (including any e-mail addresses)to him to do with as he wishes.

Thanks

I'm done here. I'll just crawl back under the rock I came from. Hupp31, If you want to know what it is, you are welcome to contact me - I merely wanted to directly discuss my interest in the modification of the top portion, and to advise you of the rest of the details, noted above, but someone who I don't believe has the foggiest idea who I am seems to think I am untrustworthy, so you might want to bear that in mind if you contact me.

Think it's Packard probably late 40's early 50's with R11 Overdrive. It also has an early 35-38 floor shift top grafted onto it in place of the 'side-shift' column change it originally came equipped with. See the early 36-38 Packard trans (without O/D) on eBay at the moment with a starting bid of $199.99. Interesting to see if that one attracts any interest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOT-ROD-P...sspagenameZWDVW

There was a <span style="text-decoration: underline">rebuilt</span> 40 Packard side-shift trans on eBay a few months ago that sold for $177.08.

Guest Xprefix28truck

I don't know what it is. It doesn't look like any of us that don't know what it is, ever will either. I joined to learn more about the things that I have no clue about. I read all sorts of posts just to learn new things. How can anyone learn about new things if they are to be kept secret. I understand why one would think that someone was looking to make an untrustworthy deal. If it's not worth anything, or if it is, why not just tell. People that are selling things always want fair value for their goods. So why not be willing to do the same for the other guy looking for info. OPEN INFO LEADS TO STRAIGHT DEALS! SECRECY LEADS TO CROOKED DEALS! Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flackmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And don't forget to add the value of a removed(plugged?) solenoid port, and of course the modified speed/engagement govenor (likely part of the lightweight = more speed plan), and the obvious enginearin' that went into the baling wire holding the lockout pivot into position. And I can't tell from the pictures what enginearin' has been dun to the output shaft, but its not the way the real engineers built it. </div></div>

wow! what an ...

this site is to HELP people not whatever you think you are doing

jeesch

I have replied in detail privately to Hupp31. I do not routinely check my messages in this site, that's why I posted my direct email. Now would those of you who shared such kind thoughts towards me publicly and to my direct email please lay off. The only reason I didn't say what it was in the first place is so there would be no misunderstanding that this transmission has been modified. Who knows if it even works - it sure can't work properly without a solenoid and governor.

Guest Xprefix28truck

And yet it still has to be a secret!! Even though it still "has no value", Why not tell what it is, with "such and such" modifications.

• 3 weeks later...