First year for Buick Seat belts ?

Guest norb

In a 63 Buick dealer book I see beat belts optional.Did they have them before that ? When were they standard ? This is for a Buicktown quiz. Thanks

Well I can only confirm 65. But in 65 both front and back were standard, the only thing you could do is upgrade to the custom belt, which in 65 was a 5.83 option on the Skylark with buckets.

brh, the rear belts were not standard in '65. My family took delivery of a new '65 Wildcat 2-door hardtop with the custom, retractable seatbelt upgrade, and they were front-seat only.

The rear seat belts did not arrive as standard equipment until '67 or '68 I believe, and I hope that someone will offer the definitive answer about that.

You are correct, no rear seat belts on my Skylark. But the Skylark wholesale car order form states option J-6 as Delux Seat belts (rear)*. When ya go to the back of the form it states-"rear seat belts-correponds(Buick misspelled) in color and material to front delux belts, Now standard on all cars". So my car that came from the factory, with the delux belts has no rear seat belts, but the form states otherwise???

Seat belts were not standard in 1964. I have a 64 Electra that I helped my Grandma order in the fall of 1963 (as a 5 year old...). Seat belts were optional and Grandma didn't trust them. When I got the car at age 16, my Mom wouldn't let me drive it until we went to Sears and had them install a pair of front seat belts.

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"rear seat belts-correponds(Buick misspelled) in color and material to front delux belts, Now standard on all cars". </div></div>

Does that perhaps state that the front delux belts were standard on all cars?

Guest 70 Electra

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Conley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seat belts were not standard in 1964. I have a 64 Electra that I helped my Grandma order in the fall of 1963 (as a 5 year old...). Seat belts were optional ... </div></div>

As I understand it, GM began providing FRONT belts as standard on Jan 1, 1964. That would explain why most 64s have front belts, but some--like Brad's early 64 Electra--do not. A good friend has a November 1963-built '64 Impala....it has the belts, but they were an extra cost option. What I don't know was whether the base price of the car was increased when the belts were made standard on Jan 1.

(It was not uncommon for "safety" features that cost the manufacturer money, to not be implemented until the first of the calendar year. Another example is headrests: Although GM made them "standard" with the start of 1969 production, Chrysler did not do so until Jan 1, 1969)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thriller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"rear seat belts-correponds(Buick misspelled) in color and material to front delux belts, Now standard on all cars". </div></div>

Does that perhaps state that the front delux belts were standard on all cars?

</div></div>

I don't think so because mine were delux which is listed as an option, thats why I am confused as to what went on. I have the car, equipped from the factory the way it was ordered in 1965, its been in the family all this time. I know the delux belts was an option. The confusing part is the statement "now standard on all cars". This is off the original wholesale order form for a Buick Skylark in 1965.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 Electra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Conley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seat belts were not standard in 1964. I have a 64 Electra that I helped my Grandma order in the fall of 1963 (as a 5 year old...). Seat belts were optional ... </div></div>

As I understand it, GM began providing FRONT belts as standard on Jan 1, 1964. That would explain why most 64s have front belts, but some--like Brad's early 64 Electra--do not. A good friend has a November 1963-built '64 Impala....it has the belts, but they were an extra cost option. What I don't know was whether the base price of the car was increased when the belts were made standard on Jan 1.

(It was not uncommon for "safety" features that cost the manufacturer money, to not be implemented until the first of the calendar year. Another example is headrests: Although GM made them "standard" with the start of 1969 production, Chrysler did not do so until Jan 1, 1969) </div></div>

Thanks for the clarification, Greg. I had no idea they became standard after 01/01/64...guess I was too young to be "into" cars as much as I was in later years. Excellent piece of information.

Guest windjamer

Fed. Gov.mandated All cars manufactured for 1965 be equiped with front seat belts. The auto indis.never gave anything away free,so I think standard issue was 65.

Guest garys64wildcat

My 64 Wildcat Convert, did not have the Buick belts. They have a Sears Belt front and rear added when new.

I have a decent front seat pair in red with the chrome Tri Shield emblem that I would trade for a set of blue. But original tri shields are hard to find. So I may have to send them to Ssnake oyl for rewebbing etc. they want apx $210 to redo them in blue and rechrome buckles etc.

Thanks

Gary Seaman