First Buick seat Belts ?

Guest norb

I have a Dealer Catalog that has optional belts in 1963 but did they have them before that ? When did they become standard? My books cover everything except seat belts. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Norb:

I have a 1958 Acessories brochure which was included in the New Car envelope with these cars that pictures and lists seat belts as an option. They appear to be aircraft style with a big chrome metal buckle.

My 1965 Color and Trim Book lists front seat belts as standard for all Series but can be deleted for credit. My 65 Lesabre Conv. build sheet shows a letter S in the box marked "Frt Std Seat Belts". If the belts were an option the box would be marked with an X as was done with the options my car has.

I believe 1965 was the year all GM cars had Front belts as standard; but the sales lit doesn't always say so. Manufacturers played up padded dashes and such items, but I feel they were still nervous about seat belts as the public was perceived as not ready to accept them. I remember the Public Service Announcements on TV trying to get people to use and accept seat belts.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

At least as early 1961 the Tempest came with floor pads welded in for front belts but the belts themselves were an option (or aftermarket, as was my 62). No pads or belts for the rear.

As near as I know my sisters 60 Catalina convert. did -NOT- have pads welded in for installation of belts.

OK, you guys with cars back into the late 50's look under the floor pan and see if you have pads welded on for front belt anchor bolts. They would be about 3" square and ~1/4" thick with center hole for 1/2" bolt.