Sign in to follow this  
R W Burgess

WOW! Look what they're building!!!

I just got my November 10 AutoWeek and was thumbing through the pages........WHOA! What's this??

Page 36!

Cheetah Continuation Distributors is selling the original style Cheetah again. It said, "Not a Replica"!

I remember reading about this car in Hot Rod many years ago. The car was so short that the tranny was hooked directly to the rear end by a U-joint. It had no driveshaft. Betcha that gives new meaning to rear end gear noise!!! crazy.giflaugh.gif

Cool!

Price listed;

$85,000!

Web Site; www.65CheetahCCC.com

Same magazine.......page 52!

But Wait, There's more....

A sign that we could have used last week while on tour.....

Sign proclaimed..."This is Not US-89!" smile.gif

I would have paid for a sign, any sign, at times last week. grin.gif

Just kidding South Carolina Region! wink.gif

Wayne

One more thing.....

..Escape Roads featured a '71 Maserati Ghibli this week!????

Ghibli? How the heck does a red neck like me pronounce a word like that? I'm not Italian!

Phone call to Peterson, world renowned car nut. "Hey, West, How do you pronounce "Ghibli?"

"Oh, like chicken giblets?" crazy.gifblush.gif

Ok, guys, I now know how to pronounce that car's name. Anymore idiots out there? You can chime in any time now, guys. confused.gifcool.gifsmile.gif

Wayne

I remember when I was a kid and was riding with my folks and saw this big car and just HAD to ask my parents what "Grand Pricks" were. I almost got smacked until my dad saw the car next to us was a Gran Prix! Live and learn.

Saw one at the Lakeland, Fl show 3 or 4 wks ago. Very impressive. You have to remove the steering wheel and use a shoehorn to get in. No doubt it will GO!.. Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stonefish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So...since it is not a replica and is a continuation car...AACA show field acceptable? Now or after 25 years?

I know these have been accepted as vintage race cars.

http://www.allprocars.com/web/ </div></div>

Are continuation 427 Cobras accepted?

From the judging guidelines...

All vehicles that are 25 years old or older and were eligible for operation on public roadways except for classes 24a, 24b and 24c at the time of manufacture, are eligible for judging at AACA National Meets.

A vehicle registered in the proper class is judged with other vehicles in the same class. All vehicles are given 400 points at the start of the judging. Judges deduct points according to accepted AACA standards.

So... Sounds like it will be eligible 25 years after being manufactured.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MCHinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From the judging guidelines...

All vehicles that are 25 years old or older and were eligible for operation on public roadways except for classes 24a, 24b and 24c at the time of manufacture, are eligible for judging at AACA National Meets.

A vehicle registered in the proper class is judged with other vehicles in the same class. All vehicles are given 400 points at the start of the judging. Judges deduct points according to accepted AACA standards.

So... Sounds like it will be eligible 25 years after being manufactured. </div></div>

Makes sense. Even though the cars are "continuations" using 40+ year old VIN sequences, they were built ..... yesterday.

That car design looks almost like a dragster with a street body. Man, like you do sit right on the rearend..... shocked.gif

cool.gif Dandy Dave!

It probably would fall in that new class of second gen cars to which the vin numbers are checked proir to the meet to be allow to show. The VINs are checked to make sure they are Manufactered and not kit cars. Example, If i remember correctly the Shay Model A you could buy either as a kit car and build it in your garage or you could buy it completed from the manufacturer. If it went out the door of the factory as a kit, AACA has access to the VIN record which will show it left as a kit and therefore not eligbable for the seond gen class.

I'm not sure a Shay was a kit...maybe some other folks could chime in. I didn't think AACA checked VIN numbers prior to a meet? Here is one...a Meyer's Manx bought turn key from Meyers back in the day...AACA acceptable?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stonefish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure a Shay was a kit...maybe some other folks could chime in. I didn't think AACA checked VIN numbers prior to a meet? Here is one...a Meyer's Manx bought turn key from Meyers back in the day...AACA acceptable? </div></div>

That's an interesting question.

While I understand that Bruce Meyers did build and sell a certain number of turn-key Meyers Manx's, the car I would think was *primarily* a kit car.

Whereas the Shay, as far as I know, wasn't ever offered as a kit(?).