Series 9B

busaf4

I just picked up 1922 series 9B that needs to have the starter generator removed. Does it have a gear that remains when pulling the unit(like the series 10 generator or does the chain have to be secured like the old Dodge Brothers Northeast G starter generator removal procedure.

Thank You

Art Lee Franklin Club Member ( 1925 10 C Demi, 1930 145 Sedan, 1933 Olympic Sedan and the above 1922 9B California Top)

Hi Art -

You will need to pull the front engine timing gear case cover in order to remove the Starter - Generator. It is bolted to the crankcase from inside this cover.

Loosen bolts holding the rear bracket to the tail of the Dyneto, the mounting bolts inside teh timing gear case that bolt directly to the Dyneto and loosen side bolt that maintains chain drive adjustment. Slide unit toward engine to slacken chain and then remove chain by disconnecting the master link.

Watch for shims under the rear mount and take care to replace them.

Tom Rasmussen

Hi Tom

Thanks for the advice.

I presume when you remove the timing change master link, you hold both sides of the separated chain with some wire so it will not drop inside the engine. Is the link a single or double pin? The is similar procedure used on the Dodge Brother Northeast generator starter. I contact Lloyd Davis to get the manual. hopefully there are some good illustrations on the assembly

Art Lee