display shutting off 1988

Guest daveagain909

Guest daveagain909

A friend of mine has a problem with the display on his 1988 reatta, the car has 150k miles. what happens is when he turns on his head lights (note this only happens at night) and adjusts his light intensity using the light switch the entire display shuts off. Then when he lowers the intensity switch the display comes back on. He has replaced the display, and he has replaced the light switch, with no results. he has a replacement night/day switch which sits under the dash cover which he thinks may be the problem. (remember this only happens at night not when lights are turned on during the day). he does not want to rip apart the dash cover unless he thinks this might be the problem. What do you recommend??

Dave, from your explanation of the problem, it sounds like the photocell is acting up. During the day, have your friend place a piece of cardboard over the top center of the dashboard. He should be able to activate the photocell that way.

Guest imported_barra

Drake's explanation was what diagnosed the same problem with my 89. The photo cell was replaced. I don't recall the labor was excessive.

I have an '88 now and occasionally when I start it up the panel lights won't activate until I hit a bump. This situation generally occurs after letting the car sit for several weeks.

Here is my two cents worth. I had a similar problem. Display would come on sometime and sometime not.Turned out to be the power control under the dash near the right side of the steering wheel. WOW, the problem went bye-bye after I replaced it. Not sure if my problem is your problem, but wanted to share that with you.