Sign in to follow this  
laddy

1939 dodge 4 door

Hey,

New to the forum but not to my old Dodge. I have had it for close to 30 years. She won't start. Starter is fine, battery is fine, Ignition switch checks out.....Where oh where do I go next. I just sent off for a shop manual but this is driving me crazy! Any help Greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Fred

What is it doing? Is it turning over, getting enough fuel and spark? If it has been sitting the points may have "switched sides" on the contacts when you tried to start it.

Been fixing cars for fifty years,never heard the term (PTS switched sides) please explane. Got spark got fuel got compression should run.

Hey,

Thanks for the response. I went to a car show, stopped by a friends to have him follow me over. Shut the car off because he wasn't ready. Never started again. Turn the key, hit the floor starter and nothing, no register on the dash ammeter as if anything has been done. Last week went out and it turned the motor over, sprayed in some starter fluid and never got contact again. I thought it was a bad starter (last changed in 1991) What a PIA, got it out checked it. No problem on the concrete. Put it back. Nothing, Checked for power, NOTHING!!!. I have power from the battery. Must be a electrical break from battery to .....? Where? Ignition switch has continuity but no power, starter has no power, Battery is brand new. Where do I turn first? Withpout a wiring diagram I am lost. Any clues where to check first? Many thanks for your interestso far.... Fred

windjamer: This situation has happened to me several times in my long history with cars. A friend of mine starts his car. It's not warmed up enough and he "gets on it" and the car dies. It would not start. It would crank over and over and still would not start. After checking EVERYTHING else, we finally thought...what the heck...let's look at the points again. There were the points...all on one side of the contact. The point surface on the moving side of the points had transferred to the side that does not move rendering the car helpless. Maybe this only happens to Chrysler products from the 60s, but it DOES happen.

Bill and I have a 1939 Dodge Deluxe 4-Door. He has books about it and how to work on it. He's out deer hunting right now but when he gets home I will show him your posts and we will see if he can find something to help you.

I'm thinken you have the basic chrysler 6 cylinder motor? I have a 39 chrysler Royal Windsor, which doesn't make me an expert by a long shot. However for me the harder it is to get any old car of this vintage to start the more fun it is. (sic) As I'm sure you know this is most probably a 6 volt positive ground system... that being said most/many electrical issues are in fact "ground" related. Check that ground battery cable it really needs to be in excellent shape. Not to take the emphasis off the ground issues likwise the negative cable to the relay must be excellent as well. If your kinda good at fixen stuff you can make these cables at half the cost using supplies from your local auto parts store. Next place you might try is the distributor... Don't be afraid to pull the thing out of your engine (keep in mind it position in relationship to the engine and of course the rotor position) They are very easy to get back in the original position. Okay soooo ya need to reset the points if there is and oil residue on the points you need to pull them clean them. I use ele. spray cleaner fron auto parts store. Now the most important thing to check is that little wire leading from the points to out side of the distributer. This little wire must be in excellent condition any cracks or wear you must replace it. Again you can make one of these with very little effort. (please use a very flexable wire any stiffness in the wire could effect smooth operation of vacuum advance mechanism in the distributor. Finally that rotor needs to be in excellent condition... sometimes just a polish job with some fine sandpaper/emery cloth will do the trick. Now move on to the distributer cap clean it up and inspect that coil wire. Good Luck!!! Send a picture or two of your car...

I think near choclate town is right , if your battery and starte are good and you have no power to the starter it has to be somewher in the battery connections . i have had a similar problem with my 39 DeSoto , which is basically the same as the dodge which i have two of for parts cars the Dodge Chrysler and DeSoto shared a lot of parts , like brakes ,gear box ,diff, and the three of them used the same basic body shell . I would remove the battery teminals from both ends and clean them thoroughly ,then try again . it can't be a fuse as the only fuse on that car is on the headlight switch , unless someone has wired an after market one into the system.Susan i hope Bill has some luck with his deer hunting , i used to go every weekend untill recently , the hills seem to get higher the older i get , i should explain that i live in New Zealand , and we do not have a hunting season ,or liscence for hunting deer we just need to get a permit (free)to take a firearm into a state forest park, and can then hunt 365 days a year if we so wish with no limit on the number of deer we can harvest

Thanks for the responses, I will do as suggested and hope for the best. Somehow I think there is still something more amiss. I'll let you know and appreciate the help Fred

Hey,

Can anyone describe where the relay is on the '39 Dodge? I am not getting power to the ignition switch. I have checked continuity and I have that. Relay could be the problem. Where is it??? Thanks again Fred

Hey,

If the relay is that big hunkin black box on the drivers side of the fire wall I opened it up. It is immaculate! Looks sterile! I guess wiring has to be the cause.......Fred

Laddy,

I am not sure exactly how the cars just prior

to WWII were, but on post-war Mopars, the

negative cable from the battery was attached to

the starter solenoid, then there was another

heavy cable from the solenoid to the starter.

This solenoid was energized by the ignition

switch being turned to "Start" or a button on

the dash being pushed. If you can "jump"

battery power from the negative terminal of

the battery to the starter directly and the

starter spins, then there is something wrong

in the circuit between the battery and the

starter. If the starter does not spin, then,

like others have mentioned, you have a ground

problem. I believe that your car uses an

ignition switch that has only "OFF" & "ON"

positions and a foot pedal to engauge the

starter solenoid "mechanically".

laddy...There is a guy on the Dodge and Dodge Brothers page named Treorp55" who needs some help on his car. Maybe you could help. He is removing the door glass and dashboard knobs and is having trouble.

It has got to be a break in a wire, I am trying to run the traces now to see witch one it is. I was hopping for a reply like... this is the one that usually gives out. The reults are so intermittant based on God only knows what. My age slows me up alot. I contacted the guy with the knobs and glass problem and got him straightened out. He said some guy contacted him from Oregon and didn't know anything to help him and was surprised at his attitude. Told him to blow it off, probably has haemmorhoids. Thanks to all that did help. Fred

Check under the breaker plate in your distributer. There should be a small wire there that goes bad. I had this problem on my 40's & 50's Plymouths.

Yeah....he must be talking about me. I guess I didn't know how to help him out except how to remove the knobs and to direct him to some help. I directed him to you and you to him so that maybe you could help each other. I guess I will have to stay out of things unless I know EXACTLY how to help. My bad, as they say.