Manifold mounting washers for 1936 special

Guest Jeff_Miller

Guest Jeff_Miller

I seem to be the victim of hardware stores that carry bolts in plastic, large box stores that only carry 2x4s and auto parts stores that only sell fuzzy dice frown.gif

I want to replace the washers that go on the stud from the engine and mount between the manifolds and the nut. These washers are almost 1" in diameter but have a width of .17". I can't find any local hardware that looks like them and the "experts" at the above mentioned stores have no clue what to call it other than a washer.

I believe there is a reason the washer is shaped like it is so I don't want to replace it with a modern stamped washer or group of washers. I did find some brass bushings that approximate the shape but I suspect the brass will be too soft for the intended purpose.

Does anybody out there know what this bit of hardware might be called so that I can try to locate a replacement on the internet? Perhaps you might even know a place to get them?

Thanks,

Jeff

Guest Jeff_Miller

Thanks for the link. I didn't see any washers that were as thick as the ones currently on the car. Part number 9712K423 is pretty close in the other dimensions but it is about 1/2 the thickness so I would need to stack them. However, now that I know what to call them at least I can continue to look.

I see McMaster Carr referenced a lot on this board and I suspect it is probably time to see what they can do for me.

Thanks again for the pointer.

Jeff

Guest Jeff_Miller

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the response and the offer to send pictures. I already have a few of the washers so I know what they look like; I just can’t seem to find replacements. Do you have new ones to sell or a reference other than McMaster-Carr? The ones you referenced seem to be the correct thickness without having to stack them and I would prefer to not stack.

Jeff