auto-dimming rearview mirror question

Guest smith356

Guest smith356

I came across a 90 Riv in a scrapyard a while back and pulled some parts from it - one of them being the automatically dimming rearview mirror. My 90 has a 2 wire connector that goes to the mirror lights. The Riv mirror has a 3 wire connector. Has anyone ever tried to adapt one of these into a Reatta ? Is it possible ??

Guest Greg Ross

Probably 5 years ago someone here on the board swapped in the Riv. rearview mirror. Consult your Service Manual (that would include the Riviera), you should find a wiring diagram that includes the detail for the third wire.

Guest smith356

Thanks, Kenny. with that info, I may just see if I can get it to work - It may be as simple as switching the plug ends, as they're different. I'll post again when I give it a go...............

Guest smith356

Turned out to be an easy set-up. My new mirror is working fine. The plug for the Riv consisted of a pink/black , lite green and black wire. I discarded the black wire. The Reatta plug going into the headliner only has 2 wires in a 3 prong plug - one is open. I had to reverse the wires to the mirror to get them to match. I did this by cutting away the Riv plug end, creating loose wires. Pink/black to right side of mirror and ceiling plug, green to middle of both. As Kenny said, it may dim or stay dim in reverse, but there is a off/min/max switch on the mirror itself, so it can be disabled for backing, if that's the case. Keep in mind, if you're doing this during daylight, you'll need to tape over the photocell facing the windshield, in order for it to work. Tape or solder all connections well before tucking back into headliner. By the way, this all came about because my mirror was clouding over in spots and becoming annoying. I don't know if I did this the right way, but it is something that can be done and it'll be nice not having to play with the mirror anymore.