Cast iron welder

Guest David H.

Guest David H.

Hello,

I am in need of a person who can cast iron weld. I have an exhaust manifold that needs the flanges welded. The person/shop needs to be reputable and professional. If you know of such a person/shop please contact me at seagrave@comcast.net.

Thank you

Dave

Guest simplyconnected

David, there are thousands of places that weld cast iron. Call a welding shop either around Trenton or Allentown/Bethlehem. You are surrounded by a wealth of highly skilled welders. I'm sure they will invite your work.

Dave,

My experience in welding cast iron has varied. I have not found an abundance of welders willing to tackle it. However, in my search, I came across Muggyweld, a vendor that provides cast iron welding rods for both "dirty" and clean cast iron. "Dirty" #72 is defined as for use directly on exhaust manifolds. You can use the other rod #77 over the #72 weld and that second layer can be machined or ground as required.

Muggyweld has a number of videos and articles on their website (http://www.muggyweld.com/castiron.html that should be viewed.

I also posted an article based on my own experience at: http://www.monmouth.com/~friartuck/lincoln/welding_cast_iron/welding_cast_iron.html

I don't consider myself much of a welder and yet I has able to do my own repair, so if you find a welder close to you, I think you can convince him to use the Muggyweld rods. Their pricey, like $70 for 10 rods, but the alternatives are slim. Remember to use the back-stich welding method. Any questions, contact me directly and good luck.

Chris

Cast iron does not weld well. There are all kinds of procedures, tricks, materials etc for welding it. That only illustrates the difficulty of making a strong and lasting weld. If you can possibly find a replacement part that is the way to go. If the part is irreplaceable best of luck.......Bob

Guest simplyconnected

By definition, cast iron is at LEAST 2% carbon. I have castings that were welded fifty years ago and they have sustained hammer beatings all those years. Still together, today.

Welding technology has vastly improved over the past few decades. When you hire a real skilled tradesman, he will do a professional job and it will last.

Trenton, NJ, is just across the Delaware from PA, home of our greatest eastern iron and steel fabricators. Let me introduce a few very skilled cast iron welders:

The Rose Corp. - Reading, PA (Serving New Jersey - Southern)

"Welding services for variety of materials including cast iron. Fabrication, machining, blasting, painting & furnace installation & maintenance services are also available."

<a href="http://www.hickokmfg.com/weld.htm" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">W.O. Hickok Manufacturing Co. - Harrisburg, PA (Serving New Jersey - Southern)

</a> "Welding services include fabrication & repair for engine blocks, heads & manifolds or machining referral, engine & transmission components..."

Bearon Corp. - Manheim, PA (Serving New Jersey - Southern)

Manufacturer, Custom Manufacturer, Service Company

I would offer names here, in Detroit, but you have guys equally as qualified out there. - Dave