Reatta brakes 1989

Guest frank614

Guest frank614

Occasional hard brake pedal!

Every time I touch the brake pedal the yellow lite goes on for a second.Every once in awhile the red brake lite goes on.

Occasionaly the pedal will become hard,making it hard to stop also.Then after I stop the brakes are fine again! It might not do it again for months ! the car has 173000 miles and have owned it for 14 yrs. Still runs perfect .

thanks frank

Guest steakneggs

I wouldn't drive it. It's safer to drive a constant red light situation than an intermittent red light situation. Try to duplicate the problem in your driveway. If the pump is running with the red light on you can eliminate the pump motor, the control valve and associated electrics. That leaves a clogged (or empty) reservoir, bad pump or bad master cylinder. If its not running than it's one of the first three. That would be your first step. There's a brake test on here somewhere you can do also before you start throwing money at it. Also a spent accumulator might cause an intermittent low-pressure (red light) situation due to no residual pressure. Steak

• 1 month later...

Did you have any luck diagnosing your brake problem. If so, what did you deduce the problem was and the fix to be. I am still working through mine that is doing a similar action. I have one drawback, my folks had the antilock (yellow light) disconnected so that step is gone so I do not know if the brake test checklist will give me an accurate answer.

Guest Greg Ross

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have one drawback, my folks had the antilock (yellow light) disconnected so that step is gone so I do not know if the brake test checklist will give me an accurate answer. </div></div>

Lam, maybe consider reconnecting it. It's a vital part of, 1) the fault/ warning system, and 2) the troubleshooting sequence.