A/C Problems

Guest spyhunter2k

Guest spyhunter2k

For the past few weeks I've taken my car in multiple times to get the A/C fixed. It was converted two years ago to 134. First, they replaced the compressor, as it had developed a leak between the seams in the compressor--not something that can be fixed and from what they said not an uncommon problem either.

They have since been trying to replace an A/C line and have had difficulty finding one that fit the Reatta. They say that it is the line that is part of the "manifold assembly." After ordering two lines from different sources and neither of them fitting right, they took the existing line to a shop to have them custom make a replacement.

After putting this new line on the car, they discovered that it had a small pinhole that was allowing the 134 to leak. They removed the line, took it back to the shop that had made it, and had them weld the hole. They re-installed it on the car and after running the A/C, noticed that it was now leaking in multiple places.

They called me and said that they will be trashing this custom line and trying again to find a company that makes a replacement that fits. Do any of you know what the actual name of this part is or where a good line of this type can be found?

They also said that part of the problem could be that this line is being subjected to heavy stress once the A/C comes on, and that they feel that they must make a bracket to stabilize this line and keep the new one from giving me problems in the future.

I've used this shop for years and they have the best rep in town, so I trust them if they're saying that the line needs a bracket made. Have any of you encountered this?

Thanks very much for any advice you can give.

Guest simplyconnected

I am confused. My lines are flexible, and they do just fine. Solid steel might be another solution, but it isn't the ONLY way to go. High pressure flexible lines can be cut to length, and an end crimped-on. Scores of A/C companies do this kind of hose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spyhunter2k</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They also said that part of the problem could be that this line is being subjected to heavy stress once the A/C comes on, and that they feel that they must make a bracket to stabilize this line and keep the new one from giving me problems in the future.</div></div> Using high-pressure hose elliminates this problem.

Off the top of my head, I can think of one company in Florida/Texas (yes, both places), that makes and sells A/C systems for just about every car. Certainly, they can make up a hose or two for your application:

Classic Auto Air

Hope this helps. - Dave

When I tried to install my ac hose, which was like the one pictured below, it also did not fit. The canister\muffler would contact the compressor and keep the hoses from mating to the compressor ports. The metal pipe is aluminum so I just carefully and slowly pulled the compressor hose connector and the muffler\ canister away from each other until it would fit. After it was bolted on I just bent and repositioned the pipes again to where I wanted them.

I will say my hose assy was shipped across country in only a plastic bag and no box, maybe it got bent in shipping, maybe not.

I came across one thread that said some one tried a hose assy without the muffler and it made no difference in noise level to him.

PartImage.aspx%3Fimg%3DC%3A%5Cwebdata%5Cwebcatalogs-4S%5Cimages%5Cparts%5C55510.jpg

The photo is from rockauto and the hose is for a 88 Reatta

The Reatta and Riviera hoses should be the same.

There could have been some changes made between years, but they would have been common to both cars. Since there were a lot more Riviers made and even dumb parts guys know what a Rivera is... they should be able to find the correct part.

Guest spyhunter2k

Hmmm...then I wonder what the problem is finding the line...I'll suggest that they try a Riviera line and see what happens.

I appreciate the replies.