A NEW IDEA IN MUSEUMS

Guest Hinckley

Guest Hinckley

http://www.automobiledrivingmuseum.org/

This museum seems like the neatest thing since sliced bread. Many of us dream up ideas on how to get the younger folks interested in old cars and it seems like the directors of this museum may have found the answer.

They have two very popular, very informed tour guides that should help alleviate a few of those concerns. One is 12 and one is 17 years of age!

Here is a little something for those over forty who need a laugh. The younger set that visit enjoy the "antique" 1976 Pacer, the Corvair, and the older convertibles from the 1930s.

Does anyone have any first hand information about the museum? I will be visiting on 11/23 to gather material for a feature that will appear in Cars & Parts magazine next spring and would like to hear some of your impressions.

That sounds really cool. Too bad I don't live anywhere near it. I would keep going there to get a ride in at least half of those cars. They seem to take out really rare and expensive cars too, not just the common ones. Hopefully the cars won't end up getting trashed. Or lawsuits and legal problems. It seems like the general public is always able to screw up or kill any kind of neat idea like this.

Guest Bluesky636

I was there this past January. Neat little museum. The people are very friendly and knowledgable. I had a great ride in a late 50s Lincoln Convertible.

Automobile Driving Museum:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/562407002coBSKN

There are a number of other museums in the So Cal area worth checking out if you have the time.

Murphy Auto Museum in Oxnard:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/562407174TniCjt

San Diego Auto Museum:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/562407171pbyNja

The Peterson Museum in downtown LA:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/561867279UUMwUv

The NHRA Museum in Pomona:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/557284293evVADv

http://rides.webshots.com/album/561866687SAsJGq

And if you are in LA in January, there is the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/557284971nRxGim

http://rides.webshots.com/album/562406799EYVjov

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFranklin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't miss the Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar! It's free but you need reservations for the full tour, one building needs no reservation. a couple pics are included. caption is wrong but take a look </div></div>

I had hoped to go there too but did not have the time. I was working 6 days a week in LA from the Monday after Thanksgiving 07 through the end of January 08. Nethercutt was not open on Sunday's, my only day off. Plus the people at the Murphey museum told me that they would not let me in the Nethercutt dressed in my garish Hawaiian shirt and shorts. Not sure if they were kidding or not .....

A couple of years ago I took a 2-1/2 day "driver ed" course at the Stanley museum in Kingfield, Maine. Their 1910 20-horse touring car was the principal learning aid. I learned a lot about maintenance, and drove it over 60 miles. Not cheap, but a lot of fun. I'm not sure the program is still being offered - the museum has gone through a rough patch recently, but seems to be recovering.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Plus the people at the Murphey museum told me that they would not let me in the Nethercutt dressed in my garish Hawaiian shirt and shorts. Not sure if they were kidding or not .....

They were not kidding. The Nethercutt has a dress code. Hey, it's their football so they can set the rules

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 58Mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plus the people at the Murphey museum told me that they would not let me in the Nethercutt dressed in my garish Hawaiian shirt and shorts. Not sure if they were kidding or not .....

They were not kidding. The Nethercutt has a dress code. Hey, it's their football so they can set the rules </div></div>

Well, if they are trying to keep out the riff-raff, they have succeeded. I'll never go there. frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Murphey museum told me that they would not let me in the Nethercutt dressed in my garish Hawaiian shirt and shorts. Not sure if they were kidding or not ..... </div></div>

I never could stand a bunch of snobs. Count me out also. God forbid they get under a hood and get some grease on their fine silk tie...Just imagine if they contracted a guy like me to diagnose one of there gems that was not running well, I usually work on fine autos in a speedo so there is no chance of scratching any of the paint. shocked.gif .. wink.gif.. LOLOL... laugh.gif Dandy Dave!

You're complaining because a host asks that put on some decent clothes before you enter their "house"?

The Nethercutt Museum contains some of the finest cars in the world, of ALL types. It is well worth the trip. AND THE PRICE OF ADMISSION IS FREE! I'd hardly call that being a "snob." I consider it being extremely generous. It's like walking into a first-class concours d'elegance without having to pay $50 per person admission fee.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're complaining because a host asks that put on some decent clothes before you enter their "house"?

The Nethercutt Museum contains some of the finest cars in the world, of ALL types. It is well worth the trip. AND THE PRICE OF ADMISSION IS FREE! I'd hardly call that being a "snob." I consider it being extremely generous. It's like walking into a first-class concours d'elegance without having to pay $50 per person admission fee. </div></div>

What do you consider "decent clothes?"

My shirts and shorts (it is So Cal after all) are neat and clean. My shoes are neat and clean. I am neat and clean. What are men expected to wear? A coat and tie? Do women need to wear a skirt (No slacks please. Decent women don't wear slacks.) and white gloves? How is one supposed to know? Their website makes no mention of a dress code. During two months in So Cal I went to six museums, many very nice restaurants, and the grandaddy of all rod and custom shows and no one once complained about the way I was dressed. If I had driven the two hours or so from LA wearing the same type clothes I wore to the other museums, would they have refused me entrance? Oh, at work while I was there I wore slacks and a Hawaiian/car/flame shirt everyday. I am a systems engineer working for the worlds largest defense contractor and my host was another major defense contractor. No one complained. So, yeah. I too consider their attitude toward potential visitors to be "snobbish."

Tough call on this one. I hate the fact that when you go to a nice expensive restaurant on a Holiday, everyone is in shorts, sweats, and flip flops. But times have changed. People do not dress up anymore. The restaurants either have to allow casual attire, or go out of business because the rest of the restaurants in the area do.

On the other hand, on my day off or on vacation, I am going to wear shorts and car or Hawaiian shirts, not a coat and tie. I would think that most people would be visiting a car museum on a day off or vacation and would be appropriately dressed in shorts. I can see they that would want to attempt to keep out riff raff when the admission is free, and they have priceless cars in there. But if they do not mention a dress code anywhere, I would think it is short sighted and snobbish to refuse entry based on how people are dressed. And I do not think they will come back later dressed more formally. Instead they will tell everybody what jerks they are at the museum, and not to go there.

The portion that houses the bulk of the automobiles doesn't have a dress code. The other side is like a palace and wants you not to wear jeans or shorts, how hard is that? here is another photo of the off the street side. Google the Nethercutt collection and see for yourself.

post-44363-143138018322_thumb.jpg

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFranklin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The portion that houses the bulk of the automobiles doesn't have a dress code. The other side is like a palace and wants you not to wear jeans or shorts, how hard is that? here is another photo of the off the street side. Google the Nethercutt collection and see for yourself. </div></div>

Here is a link to the website: http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/

Please show me where in the website it mentions a dress code so that the next time I fly 3000 miles to California and then drive 2 hours from LA to the museum/collection, I know EXACTLY how to dress. And don't tell me to contact them. Why would anyone even THINK to contact them and ask about a dress code? If there are stipulations/restrictions to visiting their facility, they should be posted on the website to let people know before they show up. How hard is THAT?

It is their museum with their cars and so they set the rules. I have no problem if they require something more than a shirt and a pair of shorts. I have two choices - wear what they expect or stay away. In reality the only one it hurts if you stay away is you since they aren't charging admission it isn't like they will miss the revenue but you miss the display of cars

I asked my friend, Skip Marketti, to clarify the Nethercutt's dress code. IT NO LONGER EXISTS.

"We relaxed the dress code several years ago when we opened the 'new' Museum ... shorts & jeans are acceptable."

This said, I know that I would not "get on a plane and travel 3,000 miles then drive 2 hours from LA to the museum/collection" without calling first. And I certainly would not take as gospel third-hand information. Even if hours, price, or whatever is (or is not) listed on their website. It only makes sense to CALL FIRST. A museum's website could say they're open 7 days a week, 8am-9pm. You arrive on Monday morning and find out they're not open until 1pm, or they're not open at all. "Sorry, we haven't changed our website yet."

That's what I was thinking, West. We traveled to California last fall, and we made many phone calls concerning, room availability, oxygen setups for the wife, car rentals, expected sites we planned on visiting, and other options we might not have been aware of earlier.

What's a phone call now, $.25 a minute or less??

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No dress code.

Melanie Alonzo

Receptionist/Reservations

The Nethercutt Collection Museum

15151 Bledsoe St.

Sylmar, CA. 91342

Phone: (818)364-6464

Fax: (818)364-6466

</div></div>

Didn't even cost me a Quarter! They e-mailed this reply this morning while I was out. What was so hard about that? confused.gif

Wayne