1953 Roadmaster Tire Size

Guest Dan Wanstrath

Guest Dan Wanstrath

I am looking for the factory specifications for Tire Size, whitewall width and brand for a 1953 Buick Roadmaster.

Thanks-

Guest imported_Thriller

According to the BCA Judging Manual, it should be 8.00x15 on 15x8 rims or 15x6 wire wheels.

I've never measured, but the whitewalls on my '52 Roadmaster are pretty wide.

Guest Dan Wanstrath

If someone can measure their whitewalls that would be greatly appreciated. Coker says 2.5 or 3 inches, but that does not seem correct. It seems like they should have been wider, but coker does not sell an 8.00-15 with any wider than 3"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cannot find any info to verify the with of the white wall. Series 50 and 70 used the 15 x 6,5 rim. Series 70 are listed with the 8.00 x 15. Only the Skylark are equipped with white wall as standard, other series at an extra charge (Facts for Buick Salesmen 1953).

While the Super and Roadmasters are showed in illustrations with a wide white wall, the Skylark had "the smart new narrowband white wall tires" - that looks like a 3" to me.

I thought I had all the litterature needed for my 53, but no - nothing about white wall sizes.

Tom

• 3 months later...

I read some where on the net (think it was on Cokers site) that dimensions changed in the '6os reducing the height/width ratio. For your '53 the correct tire would be 8.00x15 90high (90% high). I believe my spare tire (firestone in correct size) has a 3½" whitewall.

It fills the whole side from the tread to rim.