Does anyone ever want NOS Brake Shoes?

Reatta Man

If you can cross-reference the numbers to see if a particular stock number is NOT available in a newer, aftermarket line, you might have a gold mine on your hands.

They would bring top dollar on ebay or at swap meets if they don't have a newer equivalent that does not have asbestos.

If you do sell them to someone else, I would send a note that they probably contain asbestos in every box; there is always someone out there looking for someone to sue.

Joe

Depending on the vintage, if they are the full shoes and not just the lining you might have a market. Many cores are getting in short supply. I know the later 9" Crosley shoes are hard to find. The 6" were made in large enough quantities that there are a lot of them around yet. I'm assuming a lot of the lower production cars would have core problems.

How old does your inventory cover?

I would like a set of Bendix 15"x2" 3 shoe per drum shoes for 1928-30 Studebaker Commander. The Studebakers and others at that time used pressed steel brake drums, not cast iron so modern high tech linings do not function like the prewar molded composition linings of that period (they grab against the steel drum surface). Don't let the EPA scare anyone, Asbestos is and was good stuff for brakes, just don't sniff it or eat it and you are OK.

Do you have an inventory list that can be posted or emailed on request? Prepare one in Excel format that can be searched by what ever parameter you want to hunt for, application, vendor name, vendor part number, OEM part number, etc.

Stude8

I could be interested in a set for a 39 Dodge,Chrysler or DeSoto , they were the same , i am not to fussed if they have asbestos in them , i have been driving and working on 30's 40's and 50's American cars since i was sixteen and am now nearer 70 than sixty and so far my health is good .as for some one wanting to sue some one else i live in NZ and so far we haven't reached that stage yet , i have heard we a a little behind the rest of the world, personally i think we are in the right place, lifes a lot easier if you dont have to look over your shoulder all the time

Guest simplyconnected

Just a few thoughts:

For the shoes you have, but don't know what they go to:

Most people can recognize parts that match the ones they have.

Put two yardsticks on a grid, one vertical, one going horizontal. Put your unknown shoe on the grid, so we can tell the X & Y in inches, and write the lining width and length on the shoe.

Assign an arbitrary number to each unknown style, and write it on the shoe (and in your excel file). Remember, most shoe pairs come with different lining lengths (PRImary-shorter & SECondary-longer), so you may have the same style with two different lining lengths. When we see the pictures, I'm sure members will recognize the ones they want.

It might be a good idea to keep your pictures on a separate web site, so viewing is more accessible to everyone. You may also indicate how many you have left. (Just supply the viewing link.) If you need help setting this up, let me know. Dave Dare

If you examine the web of the brake shoe there is usually an industry type number stamped in the metal.

Example is Wagner Lockheed #<span style="font-weight: bold">1219</span> [11"x2"x3/16")= Studebaker trucks 1955-57.

I have a library of books back to 1930's but it does take some serious manual searching to sniff out by number depending on year of the catalog, by number to application is easy prior to 1960.

I could scan and send you some relative pages for reference.

Stude8

After browsing my files I did find a 1964 copy of the Friction Materials Standards Institute catalog.

This issue has 49 pages that includes 25 pages [8 to 12 images per page] of illustrations of auto brake shoes with details of size and industry item numbers. It covers most US vehicles from about 1941 thru 1964. A real great book it ID btrake shoes with.

There are 20 other pages that list detailed application by make and model vehicle with the FMSI industry part number.

I looked on Google and found this link http://www.fmsi.org/FMSI/order/order.asp

They still exist and publish annual catalogs but they aren't cheap. $300 for the first copy and reduced rates for multiple copies.

Try your local library to see if they can obtain a copy for loan.

The following caption appears in their catalog order section:

<span style="color: #000099">2000 AUTOMOTIVE DATA BOOK - LIBRARY EDITION

Copies of the 2000 Automotive Data Book are available at the same prices as the 2008 Automotive Data Book. This is a Library Edition and contains: 30 years of Application Information from 1971 to 2000; illustrations of every Drum Shoe and every Disc Brake Backing Plate assigned through 2000; a listing of every Clutch Facing assigned; and Brake Block Identification. It is a total of 496 pages.</span>

Stude8

Just to exhibit what the FMSI catalog shows, here is a copy of a page from 1964 issue showing how they display brake shoe images and details. This is a reduced quality scan to make file small enough to attach in this forum.

This book is very well assembled to help ID shoes and their applications. FMSI uses manufacturers specs to produce the images they use.

You start with determining the drum diameter size from the curvature of the shoe then browse the pages by eyeball to locate the matching shoe shape of that size diameter. From the industry numbers connected with the selected image you go to their application pages arranged by numerical sequence of industry number and that will ID what vehicles used that shoe.

Stude8

post-31139-143138018756_thumb.jpg

Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: simplyconnected</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It might be a good idea to keep your pictures on a separate web site, so viewing is more accessible to everyone.Dave Dare</div></div>

I was not clear in what I'm trying to say. What I really meant is, use your personal web space to store your pictures. Nearly everyone with high speed internet is offered free web space. (Mine comes from Comcast. AOL is dumping theirs in Dec., etc.)

If you use your personal web space to store your pictures, they may be viewed by everyone 24/7. You may make them "read only" if you want, so nobody can alter your site. Post an inventory list there too, as a picture (just to keep it simple). Customers can still email you if interested in buying your items.

If you need help with this, let me know. In the mean time, take lots of good quality pictures at 3MB each (you can always make them low-res later). - Dave

Just to add some details since Dave edited the FMSI page to be more legible I thought I would add the applications for some of the illustrations from top to bottom. These applications are listed numerical by FMSI number of illustrations.

Item <span style="font-weight: bold">284-55</span> = Rear Ford 1955 T Bird; Ford Truck 1/2Ton 1948-59.

Item <span style="font-weight: bold">292-55</span> = Rear Ford 1949-54 Station Wagons; Mercury 1949-54 All.

Item <span style="font-weight: bold">2002-55</span> = Rear Ford 1955 All; Ford Truck F-100 & 4WD 1959-63.

Item <span style="font-weight: bold">292-56</span> = Fr & Rr Hudson various models 1947-54 (Too many model #'s to list)

Item <span style="font-weight: bold">653-141</span> = Fr & Rr Chevrolet 1942-48; Chev / GM trucks 1946-48.

Stude8

Guest simplyconnected

Yeah... I was hoping you wouldn't be pi$$ed at me for that, stude8. Your illustrations are fabulous, but big. Tell you what, I'll add your info to my pictures, ok? If you think I should, I'll take my pic's and this post off, out of respect for you. - Dave

Hey there is nothing to appologize about, we're all here to help the gal identify the material we might need.

I haven't figured out how to reduce large files to reasonable sizes without corrupting the quality. Actually when it is printed original images there is the dot matrix loss of quality to begin with so if you have a better computer graphics setup to improve the images with and do it gratis we all benefit.

I was a little hesitant to post the image first of all because they have fine print in the book about not reproducing without written authorization...however it is 1964 stuff and I think this was done without compensation expected so it is exempt from claims. I thought there is probably a statute of limitations that ran out years ago anyway. Nothing that isn't already public knowledge.

Stude8

Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stude8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't figured out how to reduce large files to reasonable sizes without corrupting the quality.

Stude8</div></div> Just put your 8-1/2"X11" on your web site and reference to it like this:

Brake Shoes Pg.34 (from stude8)

No need to reduce it, if you want crisp printing, and you can post a smaller version just for viewing, here. - Dave

Where I live now is beyond the edge of the technical world, we only have the slowest most unreliable dial up ISP in the state of Illinois and possibly the world. If you latch in at 1.8KBPS it is as fast as you will ever get. Website is only a dream here.

I did observe the image Sharon posted previously and the shoe shown ID's as FMSI #2011-76 a 9 x 1-3/4" which is listed as Frt & Rear Nash 1947,4740, 1946, 600. Willys CJ-2A,1946-50; CJ-3A, 1949-53 (early); CJ-3B 1953 (early); Front Willys, Scout Car (4x4), 1961.

Stude8

Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocsGal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-family: 'Verdana'">The inventory is coming along nicely and I will post pictures, links, etc. soon.</span>

</div></div> Well???

Where's the list? I'm anxious to see what you have!

Dave

The FMSI catalog I have only goes as far back as 1946-48 for Ford passenger car applications, that number is 1167-37 Front and Rear All cars. *It is 12" x 1-3/4" with 5/32" Web

Many other makes used 1941 designs the first years after WWII so this numbder may be correct for 1941.

Stude8

• 1 year later...
Guest Tim Buege

What ever happened to this stash of brake shoes? Did you ever successfully catalog and inventory them? Did you or do you have a set for 39 Dodge D11 sedans. I need a set too. Let me know. Thanks

Guest elmo39

for those of you looking for 39 D11 Dodge linings dont limit you search for Dodge , C22 Chrysler, and S6 DeSoto used the same linings and shoes.