1967 Buick Skylark

localbum24

Hey gang.

I recently came into possession of a 1967 Buick Skylark 4dr hardtop. It's a 340 V8 with a great body, and was running smoothly about 10 years ago until the radiator crapped out. Since that time it's been parked under a carport.

I have never taken on a restoration project before, and was curious where to start with a vehicle that's been inactive for so long.

Suggestions? Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: localbum24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

was running smoothly about 10 years ago until the radiator crapped out. Since that time it's been parked under a carport.

where to start with a vehicle that's been inactive for so long.

</div></div>

I would remove the spark plugs and spray a lot of PB Blaster in each cylinder every day for a week. I would also spray the transmission line to Radiator connections everyday also. Then I'd try to rotate the engine by using a breaker bar and socket on the nut inside the harmonic balancer. If the engine rotates then

I'd pull the radiator and take it to the most reputable shop in town and ask then to evaluate it. Note, a recore job is mighty expensive today, but new radiators will probably have plastic tanks. I'd investigate both and then decide if originality was worth the price.

Next you need to evaluate the oil in the crankcase. Is there any evidence of antifreeze or water mixed into the oil on the dipstick? Do not be confused by condensation on the stick above the level of the oil that's in there. I'd expect to find condensation. I would not expect to find antifreeze mixed witht he oil at the bottom of the stick.

If you have solid oil then I'd put in new plugs, a battery and try to crank the engine. Not start it, just make sure the starter works.

If you have all of this done, before committing on a Radiator, I'd disconnect the fuel line to the fuel pump, and shoot a squirt of ether down the carb and hit the key. If it fires then I'd be replacing more and more stuff till my bank account was dry and hoping I could convince my wife the car was worth it.