Took my '26 for it's first drive in over 20 years!

Profyrfyter

Well I finally got my water pump put back together and rolled the car out into the driveway and started it up. This is the second time I had the car running since I've had it (which was when I discovered the leaking packing nut). After about five minutes of running/sputtering in the driveway things began to smooth out a little. I was using a gallon fuel jug from my nitro-methane R/C car that I had a hose dropped in the top of as a gas tank since mine is still in need of repair. Before I knew it I hopped in and very loudly (there's about a 6 inch hole in the muffler) put it in gear and started driving down the street! It was a blast smile.gif

I sure turned a lot of heads although I don't know if it was because it was a 1926 DB Sedan driving through the neighborhood or the insainly loud noise it was making laugh.gif Any how, I ended up short circuiting my headlights/dash light, I guess during the many years of storage some mice/rats chewed some of the wiring and it grounded out so I have to track that down and repair it. My new thing is 2nd gear has a very loud whine in it. Is there a reputable transmission shop that anyone's used for these and would recommend? I'm out here in the Central valley in sunny California.

Thanks to all for all the advice and a special thanks to Vergil for the packing nut and gaskets!

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RickBrinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is 1200 wt </div></div>It's pretty close to that! I'm told it is lard based. It is/was used in the train industry for steam cylinders, would still be used in industry. Stroudsburg RR still uses it so I was able to find it from an oil distributor. The mixture I was told to use a screwdriver will stand up in!

When My trans was rebuilt I believe 90wt was put in. Since it is non-syncro gears, sometimes more often than not, when I shift, The gears clash. Am I just not experianced enough in shifting or is something not adjusted right (because 2nd to 3rd goes alot smoother than 1st to 2nd)or is the wrong gear weight oil in there?

Dan

As you can tell with my question regarding the transmission noise I'm not to familiar with these transmissions but I do know on many older transmissions it is common to have to "double clutch" in order to help the gears align better. A few of the older fire engines we have require this and it truly does make the gear shifting a little smoother.

If you're not familiar with double clutching it's actually quite simple. When shifting gears push the clutch in and then while in neutral let the clutch out and hit the accellerator to increase the RPM's, then quickly push the clutch in and shift into the next gear. Raising the RPM's helps align the plates/gears. The same can be done for down shifting. Give it a shot, it takes a little getting used to at first but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature. I found with mine double clutching made it shift a little better, but I think before I log any more road miles on it I had better check my fluid levels.

Hope this helps, it would be nice to actually contribute to the forum instead of always asking for help smile.gif

Dave

Guest Ed_Joyce

1929: Very likely you have to light of gear oil in there. I would change to 600w as suggested by previous posts. Thats what we run in our Graham Bros.--trans and rear end. Slows down gears as you are shifting.