Sign in to follow this  
peecher

4 barrel carb manifold

Just received the 4 barrel carb V12 manifold from Ken Austin. There are some things about this manifold you should know before buying. There is no heat riser section. I knew about this and plan to do something with a heated air intake if carb icing becomes a problem. The intake runner is the open "log" type, no dividng wall between sides. The exit ports are slightly undersize for my engines being 1-1/8" instead of 1-1/4". This was easily fixed with some judicious use of a ball-nose cutter. There was no vent tube opening so a 1/2" hole had to be drilled for that.

The intake runners and carburetor mount run parallel to the base which means in order for the carburetor to be "level" a 2 deg tapered shim will be needed. I ordered a 1" spacer and will have a 2 deg taper machined. This wouldn't be necessary if the engine was mounted parallel but the engines are mounted at a 2 to 2-1/2 deg angle in the cars. I believe the dual and triple carb manifolds are also this way but the 2 deg tilt may not have much, if any, effect on the 2 barrel carbs? If you plan to use one of these manifolds in your car you may want to talk to Ken about the carb flange angle and the lack of the 1/2" hole for the valve chamber vent tube.

The manifold is a very nice looking casting and looks to be a quality piece. I will be trying 2 different carburetors on this set up. One is a Ford 4100 and the other a Chrysler WCFB. Both are fairly small ( less than 500CFM)and have vacuum( velocity) operated secondaries. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

I have a Autolite 4100 on my 289 Mustang (original equipment) and it's a great carb -- probably just the perfect size for you V12 as well. The *only* complaint I have is that the automatic choke (temp-sensitive spring activated) can be a little unreliable.

Both the 4100 ( '65 Mustang) and the Carter have been converted to manual choke utilizing the regular Lincoln "pull" rod controls. The Carter was easy but the Autolite 4100 was real tricky. Both retain the fast idle control. Would have like to have used the automatic choke but a 6 volt electric housing is just not available. The VW unit is too small and the element is "wound" in the wrong direction.

Peacher:

The 4 BBL manifold does look nice. You should have lots of room for a spacer as most 4 barrel carbs are low profile. Equivalent Holly carbs are easier to tune than the Autolite. I replaced the Autolite on my 429 with a Holly. But if you have a carb available, might as well try it.

If you are planning to drive in the winter, you could consider a mid 60's Ford spacer with a hot water plumbing chamber. I've got a 289 with this feature, I think its a '65. Find in a wrecking yard or on e-bay. You could put a "Y" in the hose from the left cylinder head. Are you considering a PCV valve? Spacers also include this feature. Did you figure out how to route the throttle linkage from the right side of the carburetor to the left? I'd assume you are also disabling the dash board throttle lever.

Keep us posted on progress.

Abe

The water jacketed spacer is a good idea, have to consider that. The carburetor(s) will be mounted in reverse. This places the throttle arm(s)on the right side and they operate in the right direction for the Lincoln linkage. I know that some of the flathead V8 guys have done this and there seems to be no adverse affect. Sure makes controls easier. The choke lever for the Carter is also on the right side and will use the regular "choke" rod from the dash. The choke control for the Ford is on the left side of the carburetor and will use the "hand " throttle control from the dash. During starting you will have to open the throttle slightly to allow the mechanism to set the fast idle and close the choke. You should be able to push the choke in and remain on fast idle until foot pedal is tapped.

Not sure how a PCV system would affect the idling on this set up? May have to sneak up on this after getting it to run right?

I will rig up a vent tube to the air cleaner to begin with to provide a little negative pressure.

I will try this on my '46 first but it's destined for the 332 cu/in ( no stroke) engine with the 3-1/16" bore.

Ken Austin called me today and he going to make the carburetor flanges thicker on new manifolds so a 2 to 2-1/2 deg slant can be milled. He is also going to cast a "boss" into the right side and provide a hole for the vent tube. He'll provide a plug for this hole for those who want to use the early style draft tube or even convert to a PCV system. He was using an early Zephyr manifold for a pattern and now has the newer style one to use as a guide to make the corrections.