Importing a car into the USA from overseas

scott12180

Hello ---

As the subject suggests, I would like to consider buying a car that is overseas in the Australia/New Zealand part of the world. It's an American pre-War car.

I've never thought about what's involved with customs and shipping but my first thought is that it is hopelessly complicated. But then I realize that hordes of old cars have left our shores for Europe in recent years, so it can't be a show stopper.

Anyone have experience buying a car overseas and bringing it home? Seems that I'd rather hire one company to do everything -- customs, ocean shipping, transport, etc. --- basically a door to door service. Does anyone do this sort of thing?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

--Scott

I have done this from Europe and know people who have transported cars to and from Aus/NZ. If you are a novice and you hire someone to do everything for you, it will be expensive, but is probably the absolute safest way. If it is an American car, customs won't be a problem, but it will probably be inspected and you will have paperwork to file. You can't screw that part up. Depending on where you live you may find one person who does this or hundreds. Putting the car in a container costs more, but I decided it was safest. I went and supervised the loading myself. Be prepared for problems too. The company in Europe which the door to door expediters in the US chose to work with had been in business for over 150 years, but went broke while handling my container - I started out dealing with a VP of the company and finally I helped the last two employees push my car into the container. It was the last shipment in the company's long history. If I hadn't been there, I am not sure what would have happened. The US company really tried to hose me on insurance, which I ended up getting very cheap on my own in Europe. I had worked in the insurance industry for a while, so I knew how to do that much. Send me a message if you want some help. Good luck!

Guest bkazmer

It might be OK to be at the dock for a container unload, but do not go if the car is being unloaded "loose" unless you brought a significant cash "careful handling fee"

I have a customs port of entry near me and I had it brought there so that the container could stay locked until it got here, and I was present when it was inspected. He looked inside, said, yep, that's an American car alright, and went back to telling us funny stories about people trying to bribe him or sneak stuff past him. That part was painless. Once the forms were filed and the fees paid a few days later, I put the car in my trailer and took it away. The guys at the freight terminal yard were fascinated with the car and couldn't have been more helpful. In fact when they saw that the container was locked, they had put it up high on a stack of containers so that no one could get into it. They thought is was household goods and were anxious to see it when I told them about the car.

Hi

I live in Australia and I can assure you that hundreds of older cars are sent from the US to Aust every year and it is a relatively easy process. I engaged a local company with links to a US company to import a 40's car a couple of years ago from CA and apart from the cost for transport and fees it was very easy. Check with your local shipping/import agents and find out what is required in the way of paper work, import permits etc to bring a car into the US.

There is a lot of import/shipping companies that advertise transport and documentation for cars US to Australia in the local car mags here so they must be able ship cars back to the US. If you need any names let me know.

David