Heater Question

ncgirl05

Hi all!

The heater in one of our '89's only seems to work on MAX HEAT. If we lower the temp the car then blows cold air. Soooo that means we're either too hot, or too cold.

No Three Bears please! wink.gif

Anyone out there ever have this happen??? The heaters in our other '89's operate just fine - no cold air.

It sounds like you own two Reattas.....the first thing I would try is switching the blower controllers, this is about a 5-10 minute operation. It the problem follows the controller, then you know the answer.

Leigh and Jim....... I may have misread the question. After rereading the question, Jim is more correct.

Another possibility is a chance that your evaporator is plugged and restricting air flow. My thinking is in the max heat position, the system may also give you max blower and you get some heat. When the heat requirement is lowered, then you get very little flow and you get cold air.

Try Jim's solution first, and you might check the condition of the evaporator while you are working on the system, we have found several Reattas with the restricted evaporator.

We've got a parts car so we're going to switch out the heater programmer and see if that works.

Just to be clear, the air flow is fine, it's the temperature that's messed up - we only get hot air when the setting is at the max heat position - anything below 85 results in cold air. BRRRRRRR! shocked.gif

I am interested to see how this turns out. I am experincing a simular problem where by the blower fan comes on only "when it feels like". This has happened both when I run the AC or heat. I have talk to Jim about this but have not ventured to replace the black box under the glove compartment. But its cold now and I am motivated to do so. One thing I'd add is that my blower fan does make noise so I am wondering if it is going out?

Hey Randy, if your blower motor is starting to make noise, it's on the down side. Could last as long as you own your Reatta, or quit in a week (or the noise will drive you crazy). If you replace it, do yourself a favor, get a replacement with the squirrel cage. Others have purchased the motor only, and found it almost impossible to swap the old one to the new one.

Also, while you have the motor out, it's a perfect time to check the inside of the air box and evaporator for restrictions, as Barney stated.

Think I will give it a look see, as I am off tomorrow. Issues with the suirrel cage is it a function of mounting it to the new motor or are the suirrel cages of different sizes? I had thought about buying only the motor because of the difference in cost $20.00 vs $75.00

Again thanks and i will get right on it.

One of the Members changed theirs out not to long ago. I believe the problem he had, was trying to slide the squirrel cage off of the motor shaft. The plastic cage must shrink up with age. He posted he either bent the cage, or broke it. Don't remember which. He stated the same cost concern. When I replaced mine, I purchased the whole assembly. I got mine through Buick, & it came complete with the cage. It was in January, cold as h#@l, and sounded like the dashboard was comming apart. I didn't shop around cause it's my daily driver.