Chrysler 1929 Hub Puller

AussieLeigh

I am confused. Why would you need a hub puller for a wire wheel? Don't wire wheels on '29 Chryslers have a lug nut system? Wood wheels are totally different and if they are anything like my 1931 Dodge wheels, they require a hub puller.

There are two types of puller. Knocker and wheel puller. The size of the axle and wheel threads will vary by manufacture and size of vehicle. Just like all wheel bolt patterns today are not the same size. My guess is the thread count will be 16 per inch but the diameter will change. Once you measure the size needed, place an ad in the for sale/wanted forum.

First, you can use the type that looks like a bolt only drilled 1/2 way through, sometimes called a knocker. This is screwed on the axle. Raise the wheel, on the other side of the car, off the ground. You hit the knocker of the wheel on the ground with a large hammer. This will cause the wheel on the ground to break loose from the axle. These come in various sizes based on the diameter and thread count of the axle.

Second, you can use a bell shaped wheel puller that screws on to the wheel where the hubcap attaches. You then screw in the bolt located in the center of the bell. This will put pressure on the end of the axle and force the wheel loose from the axle. Again, you will have to measure the size of the threads on the wheel and the thread count to get the correct fitting puller.

The brake drum pullers for wire wheels are different than wood wheels. Wire wheel drums pullers are fairly easy to find since they could be used over several years. The wood wheel puller has to fit the hub thread size as discribed in Hubtoy's reply.