Trying to remove my water pump

Profyrfyter

Hello all,

I'm trying to remove my water pump because I have to replace the rear most packing nut. I've removed the radiator (which by the way both bottom studs have the thread completely rusted away) and the fan. I have been trying to follow the mechanics instruction manual but I am at a loss right now. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get to the water pump? The pictures below are of as far as I could get myself.

Thanks,

Dave

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

Does this pulley have to come off? The four rivets on it are loose so I'd like to try to repair it while it's exposed. There appears to be some type of pin through the middle of the nut(?)

IMG_0103.jpg

OK.. drive the pin out of the fan pulley.

carefully remove the pulley.

remove gear cover .

pull gear from shaft with gear puller.

be sure to remove the woodruff keys from the shaft keyways.

remove distributor.

remove bolts holding water pump ..

tap shaft to rear and pump and shaft should be free now..

If the shaft is worn in the packing area it should probly be replaced..

How do I get the nut off of the end of the shaft that holds the fan pulley on? I've driven the pinout but I cannot get the nut off. Is it held in place with a woodruff key and simply slides off the end of the shaft once the pin is removed or is it threaded? I'm stuck....... I really need to get the fan pulley off because the four rivens are loose so I need to repair them and since I have to work on the water pump this is a good time to do it.

Thank you!

Dave

blush.gif Well I must admit I'm a little embarrassed! I was trying so hard to unscrew it!! haha

Thanks for setting me straight!

Dave

Update: I was able to remove the pulley and the cover plate. I have to borrow a gear puller now before I can remove the gear and continue. I guess it's enough for one night smile.gif

Well, I'm to the point now where I'm going to just remove the water pump and drive set as a whole then disassemble them. The shaft is worn at the packing nut, which I was afraid of. Now I'm delayed further since I'll have to order that part now. Is there anything else I should consider ordering at this point? Do the impellers go bad? I already have radiator hoses and packing material on the way. I have a roll of cork gasket material (1/16" thick), it should be ok to use for the components shouldn't it? I would rather just make new gaskets, but if the paper ones are the best way to go I'll get a set of those also.

Thanks everyone for all your input!

Dave