Dual Exhausts for 1955 Oldsmobile

Guest afaltus

Guest afaltus

Has anyone had experience with dualing out the exhaust system on a 1955 Oldsmobile?

The way the factory exhaust system is set up, there is no clear way to add a left exhaust pipe and tail pipe. I know it can be done but is there one preferred way?

Allen afaltus@elltel.net

First, the power brake tank needs to be moved to the outside of the frame rail.

Then, a hole needs to be cut into one of the X members on the left side. I think the other one already has a hole in it. If not, they'll both need holes.

I don't know what is involved with the left exhaust manifold and down pipe. '56 was the first year for factory duals, and they used different manifolds than they did in '55. A block-off plate is required on the right hand manifold.

I had a kit with all the hangers and brackets for the left side. I gave it with the car I just sold.

Paul

Guest oldslady liz

i was just going to get this done on my 55 olds since it is in for restoration on so many things..whats one more.. but the guy told me if it is done the car won't sound like the way it does now... really cool sound to the exhaust... so i decided leave things as they are..