Buick Century at Barrett-Jackson

dship

Dave,

I saw that car in a preview probably 15 minutes before it auctioned and they scanned around it. It was pretty nice but that is high for this economy.

The announcers said it woudl be a bargain because of the cost of chrome. If you had to do a restoration to that level, the cost of chrome would make you hesitate.

The seller made money if it sold for that much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the cost of chrome would make you hesitate.

</div></div>

The "cost of chrome" for that crate was about 10%, or less, of the strike price. Been there, done that.........Bob

I saw that TV segment and thought Finally some recognition for the Buick Century. It was a beautiful car, but somehow, I feel time has slighted Buick as a great American car during the 50's. As a young man, I used to go the the drag strip at Westhampton, NY on Sundays. I always wanted to see a 57 Century go up against a 57 Chevy. Even with Dynaflow, the Buick could really haul. My mom had a 57 Century convertible and I can attest to the real snap in your neck when you hit the gas in that baby.

Who do you think would win between the Century and the Bel Air?

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Landau1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who do you think would win between the Century and the Bel Air? </div></div>

I think it would depend somewhat on the transmission / rear end set up in each car, but the 322 had a chunk more power than the Chev V8 (at least in 1956) and the Buick engine design was always pretty torquey, so I think my money would be on the Century.