Opinion on Electric Impact Please

Roadster90

I do not have a use for an air impact enough to keep having to run an air line out to the carport. I was looking at the below electric impact at Harbor Freight (Chicago Tool), and I have a coupon that will allow purchase for $37.99 (regular 80.00 tool). Has anyone had any experience with electric impacks and can offer an opinion/s please?

Thanks...

*************************1/2" ELECTRIC IMPACT WRENCH

240 Ft. Lbs. of Torque

New industrial design with a 7 amp high power motor hits bolts with 240 ft. lbs. of torque.

240 ft. lbs. maximum torque

Rocker switch for one hand forward/reverse

2100 RPM

2400 BPM

1/2'' Drive; 120V; 7 Amps; Length: 9-1/4''

Tool weight: 7-1/4 lbs.; Shipping weight: 8.4 lbs.

ITEM 31877-6VGA

$79.99

I have an Ingersol(sp?) Rand 1/2" impact. It works great for removing bolts. It is only useful for running smaller bolts (5/16 and smaller) up and then tighten them with a torque wrench. It has no means of controlling the torque and will snap the small bolts if you let it hammer hardly any at all. I wish I had paid the extra money and got a battery powered one.

Cordless just would have more portability for quick jobs. You could take it to the driveway and remove lug nuts without running a cord and you could take it out on the road where there is no power in emergencies. If you want high torque the corded version would be better. I'm sure corded is cheaper.

When you said lug nuts, Big Lots (don't laugh to much :)) every once in a while will have the road emergency kits with heavy duty impacts that work off of the battery....I bought one (have no idea what I paid...maybe 20.00 for the whole kit...not much more I am sure) and it is actually nice, but I am sure it isn't 240 lbs heavy duty...

I have also used the type that runs off the car battery. It works great on lug nuts! I put one of the kits in my wife's trunk in case she has a flat. I even used it one time to remove a bumper in a wrecking yard. It actually broke 3 of the bumper to frame bolts on a 63 Nova!!!! But not enough torque for high torque apps.

Guest spamseptictank

A friend of mine has owned an electric impact driver from Harbor Freight for about 3 years. He's had no problems with it and I've used it on many occasions as well without a problem. Unless you're doing custom work for a lot of people, it should serve you well.

For what it's worth, my (Harbor Freight) Chicago Electric 4" grinder has yet to cause me problems in the 4 years I've had it.

HTH

Dave

Guest steakneggs

I've had my electric impact since 1975! My sons and I use it all the time. It won't remove lug nuts if they're as tight as they should be but is more convenient than that noisy compressor running. The battery ones are even better for small jobs. My son has a 3/8 one that is used constantly. Steak

Guest CL_Reatta

Ive got one of them "chicago electric" Impact wrench's and it works great on my lugs (taking off of course)... never has let me down... now my chicago hand held grinder was a different story.

Wow! Nice/great recommendations ...... I intend on picking one up tomorrow smile.gif (hard to beat for $37.00)....thanks for the replies folks.

The email coupons I get from Harbor Freight make it darn difficult to NOT buy some of their "toy's" . If interested just go to Harbor Freight.com and sign up for their "email specials".....probably won't be sorry if you do.

Guest Bobby Valines

I bought a $20.00 sawzall from harbor freight Chicago broke in no time, took it back. the second one broke after the first use cutting a 2 inch steam pipe. My old $120.00 Milwaukee finished the job and many more. I also bought a $12.00 3/8 Chicago drill that only drilled about 10 1 inch holes and broke. They had plastic gears that striped in no time.