Security System Question

ol' yeller

This question is for a friend who has an '89 Riviera. I would think the security system would be the same for Reattas. One day he slammed the trunk lid down and the horn alarm began to sound. He inserted the key and turned it and the alarm shut off as it should. He now said the security light on the dash stays on all the time, even with the key off. Any ideas as to what this might be or does he have to suck it up and go to the dealership and pay big bucks for troubleshooting? He would be happy just to disable the system and the light. Thanks.

If he does'nt have a service manual with the electrical schematic for the alarm system, he might be taking a costly trip to the Dealer. The Reatta service manual does cover the theft deterrent system in section 8A-133, for both the Reatta & Riviera.

Guest CL_Reatta

Does he use the remote to lock and unlock the doors? If not then have him use it, just once to maybe help reset the system... if all else fails simply dis-connect the battery for a fe minutes and then connect it again

Got a little more clarification last night. He said that the security light blinks until he starts the car then it goes out, only to come back on when he shuts the engine off. He said the car doesn't have any remotes and he disconnects the battery every night so it won't discharge. I am wondering if I brought one of my Reatta remotes over and reprogrammed it for his car and then tried to turn off the security system, would that work? Or if the system is "alarmed" could I reprogram the remote to work? Thanks, this car was a $1,200 car a couple of years ago and he doesn't want to spend a lot to get this fixed.

Greg, as CL & you suggested. Take your remote, program it to his Riviera, & try all of the functions ie: lock--unluck--trunk release & interior lights. This might reset the theft deterrent system. If not, use your Reatta service manual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drake</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If not, use your Reatta service manual. </div></div>

Ah, the Reatta Service manual. Great book, tons of information. I bought one on ebay for $90 5 years ago when I bought my first Reatta. Then in a senior moment I forgot I had it and bought a second one for about the same cost. I sold my first Reatta 3 years ago and then after a few years came to the wrong conclusion that I wouldn't ever own another Reatta. I tried selling the manuals on Ebay with a $35 minimun bid - no takers. I tried selling them here for the same $35 - no takers. I wound up giving both of them away to friends in my local BCA chapter who owned Reattas. Now that I find myself in need of another service manual, all the ones I have seen on Ebay are asking over $100 for them. I don't think they are selling for that, but they keep getting relisted for the same amount. I am having a hard time intellectually to be willing to spend that much again. Does anyone here have one they wish to sell for around $50? Is that reasonable? Thanks.

Hey There ol yeller,

The manuals have fluctuated money wise from roughly 50 to $80.00 for a decent used one over the last few years, but to be honest...not many decent condition used ones out there anymore (as in many Reatta things) that I have noticed. Why not take advantage of the on line manual at www.reatta.net ? Also, Brand New manuals are probably still available for around 125.00 (a price Guess).

Good Luck,

smile.gif

Nic

Also...just a suggestion, but it might be advisable to start a NEW post or thread to see if anyone has a manual that they would like to part with....