Ignition Cylinder locked in the on position

reattahave

Today I drove over to my daughters house and couldn't shut my reatta off. The key would not turn off its seems to be locked completely stuck it would move to the start position but not to the off position.Wiggling it trying to free it, <span style="font-weight: bold">the starter doesn't like it when the engine is running.</span> When I got home I unhooked the battery and the car still was running so i pulled first 2 wires from the coil pack then 3 then 4 to stop the engine can any one help me with this. Do i just need a new ignition cylinder or is there something else it mite be crazy.gif Thanks

I do not know if this trick will work on a Reatta or GM lock or not (it will on a Ford product), but take a rubber mallot, and lightly exercise it on the key .... now don't take out your frustrations on it smile.gif ... just do a few light taps on the key edge and attempt to turn. Let us know if it works please.....

Nic

Oh, even if it does work, I would plan on replacing the lock cylinder in the near future.

I'd say the ignition 'rack' broke. It is the metal plate that connects the ignition lock set to the ignition switch. Mine split on one side, and would only let me start the car with the steering wheel tilted all the way down. Yours might have split and is jammed inside the column.

One other possibility: if the locking screw for the ignition lock loosened up, it might have jammed the cam on the lock, causing the keyset to lock up. Once the steering wheel and upper column cover is removed, you should have no problem checking it.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Well if anyone has ever replaced there ignition switch they know its a big job. for those that have not this is what I did. Hopefully not forgetting any thing.

1 Unhook the battery

2 take the 4 screws out that hold the IP cluster housing

3 Then you need to pull the cargo box from the console

4 you then remove the two screws that hold the outer console trim plate and wiggle and pull up to remove it.

5 Then there is 3 screws to remove 2 at the front of the inner console trim plate and 1 in the bottom of the ashtray then remove.

6 next 2 screws that hold the front storage compartment in and pull it out

7 You now remove the knee bolster 2 nuts at the lower end by the hood release and 4 across the top

8 Next remove the steering column reinforcement plate 4 screws

9 Then you need to remove the plastic wire protector at the lower end of the column just squeeze and pull out.

10 Now to the air bag 4 torx screws behind the back of the wheel MAKE SURE THAT YOUR BATTERY HAS BEEN DISCONECTED FOR AT LEAST 10 MIN STEP 1

11 Unplug the air bag there is a blue clip you pull out then pull apart connector and the 2 horn connectors. Always hold the air bag facing away from you and set it facing up on a table some were.

12 You then need a steering puller to remove the wheel.

13 Now you remove retaining ring that hold the coil assembly in place MAKE SURE YOU YOU MARK THE POSITION OF THE COIL ASSEMBLY TO BE SURE YOU REPLACE IT WITHOUT LETTING IT ROTATE.pull coil ass out and let hang

14 Now you need another special tool that will compress the lock shaft. you screw it on to the end of the wheel shaft and compress the lock shaft to remove the retaining ring that holds it in place

15 Once the ring is off you pull the lock shaft out and the cam assembly turn signal canceling assembly the spring and other parts I didn't remove.

16 You now remove the 3 screws that hold the turn signal switch assembly and pull forward the turn assembly

17 Now there is a switch assembly buzzer to pullout you take a paper clip and push up on the retaining clip that hold this buzzer in place and remove

18 Finally you are ready to remove the ignition lock cylinder. Remove the lock retaining screw that holds the cylinder in place

19 Now unhook wire at lower end of the column and attach a piece of wire to the end and pull up through the column.while removing the switch

20 Now you have the wire to attach to the new switch wire and pull back through the column.

21Now you put every thing back together.

22 HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK. BY THE WAY NEMO WHAT IS PARK?

PARK is the shifter, If car in not all the way in PARK the key will not come out.I hope you checked this first.????? AS STATED; Check if the shifter is in park. Drivers have turned the car off in gear,then wonder why the key is stuck.

Thanks reattahave....Great tutoral smile.gif...just copied to file for possible future use.....

But,

Gawd, I hope I never have to do that myself ..... frown.gif

Incidently, what did you use for the special tool in #14 below:

"14 Now you need another special tool that will compress the lock shaft. you screw it on to the end of the wheel shaft and compress the lock shaft to remove the retaining ring that holds it in place"

You can get the car to run again, temporarily.

The switch is actually located at the bottom of the column and there is a rod that comes down from the key and moves the switch up and down. Remove the black panel under the dash and you will see the switch assembly, a white connector about 5 inches long, bolted to the side of the column. Take out the two bolts and let the switch hang by the wires. You can then use a screw driver or nail to operate the ignition switch and start and shut off the engine.

Guest steakneggs

Good thing it didn't happen in conjunction with: Stuck throttle AND loss of brakes AND inability to get the car out of drive WHILE on the freeway AT freeway speeds WITH a road closure up ahead DUE to a half-completed bridge OVER a large body of water like this movie I once saw. The passenger had to climb to the front bumper, raise the hood and pull the wires. I believe the two front wheels were hanging off the bridge at the end. Steak

<span style="font-weight: bold">Nemo thanks but I was just being sarcastic.</span> You can't pull the keys out until you can turn the ignition off. My problem was that the pins in the ignition switch had collapsed and could not turn the car off, it was stuck in the run position. But after replacing the ignition every thing is like new now. Just thought it was funny about Park when I read it thinking daaa no s - - - , but I can see this happening to some one. No disregard to you, Thanks.

Guest Bobby Valines

My friend bought a 04 Pontiac vibe that was in a accident to make a long story short, sometimes you had to kind of jam it in park to get the key to turn off. Even after it was fixed.

There is a cable that needs adjusting from the floor shifter.The system is timed to work together. Turn the key,and it lets the shifter move into gear.Locking the shifter in park when the key is removed.

Guest A 3-D Event

Question...

My key is stuck in the ignition. Thank god it is not in the started position. The shifter is in park but the key will not turn back all the way to the lock position. I have tried to gently shift into park many times now but it still won't come out. How do you adjust the cable? Any help would be greatly appreicated because I'm sick of locking the ignition key in the car. smile.gif

Christa

I would remove the steering wheel, and take the lock out of the colume.This is to check, to see if the lock is operating properly.You need proper tools to do this, and on the 1990 year car there is a wire that runs down the inside of the colume, you need to have following wire connected to it so when you replace the lock you can snake the wire back down to the bottom of the colume.If all is OK then you need to check the rack is working properly,this is what pulls the rod up and makes the car light up the dash and then crank the engine.The switch in connected to the rod at the base of the colume.I will have to look up the cable in the service book.I have never worked on any I just know there part of the system.

Park / Lock control cable this is what I was talking about. Reatta service manual year 1990,page # 7A-4, at the bottom of the page this gives you all about this system.The cable runs from floor shifter to lower part of the steering colume.