Sign in to follow this  
lrg

Fuel pump knocking 1963 401

I have a 63 riv 401. The fuel pump is noisey ( knocking noise like a heart valve) anyone have or had this issue? Can I assume its the pump itself? And what is the availabilty of new or rebuilt parts to fix it? Thanks Lrg

Without actually seeing, it sounds like the bolts are loose. If they are in fact tight, fuel pumps are readilly available everywhere.

rockauto.com sells a Bosch 68506 for $23.79 and it fits these cars:

BUICK CENTURY (1957 - 1958)

BUICK ELECTRA (1960 - 1965)

BUICK GRAN SPORT 1965

BUICK INVICTA (1960 - 1963)

BUICK LESABRE (1960 - 1964)

BUICK RIVIERA (1963 - 1965)

BUICK ROADMASTER (1957 - 1958)

BUICK SKYLARK 1965

BUICK SUPER (1957 - 1958)

This is just a start. If you want AC-Delco, you can probably find it, too.

Don't know what a heart valve sounds like but is it a loud banging? It could be air trapped in the fuel line. This is such a common problem on these cars it even has a name..."the Riviera Rattle" If your pump is the original ( is it screwed together for disassembly...that's the one) , there are rebuild kits available for todays gas.. check out www.then-now.com .

Of course, the pivot pin on the eccentric arm might be loose on the pump body and causing a ticking...

Shouldn't be too tough to figure out..

Steve

Another possibility is the spring that holds the pump arm to the eccentric has broken. If this happens the arm can bounce on the eccentric, and will give you the tapping noise.

Thanks for responding gungeey , the old Guy. Yea it sounds like a knock. It is the bolted together one. Is there a way to purge the air out of the pump to test that theory? if that doesn't do it I can remove it to check the spring or should I just rebuild or replace it. thanks lrg

The banging I'm talking about is hydraulic hammer especially in AA/C cars (they have a return line)...it's from the sharp bend in line in the very upper rear wheelhousing.The banging typically sounds like it's originating around the lower passenger door area...

Others have claimed switching to a one piece, (non-rebuildable) pump has reduced the problem greatly.If you decide to retain your original pump, I would recommend rebuilding, anyway, as the rubber components must surely be close to failure. The rebuild kits at the web site previously mentioned use reformulated rubber for todays gas.

You might want to start from scratch with a mechanics stethescope(some say a heater hose held to the ear is better, I don't know how effective it might be around a running engine in the timing chain area.. bet it hurts when your fingers get sheared off from a fan belt...)Have fun, Steve

"Riviera Rattle"!! I have had this problem intermittently as long as I've had my 63. First I thought it was a noisy rear wheel bearing, until it knocked while the car was sitting still. Then I assumed it was someting loose inside the rusty muffler. I replaced the exhaust system and it went away for awhile but now it is back. Is the air in the line caused by a leaky fuel pump? Seems strange that it doesn't happen all the time.