Need Insurance Appraisal - North of Charlotte NC (71 Buick)

MikeCS113

Per insurance agent now requiring a written appraisal, I need help finding local appraiser or apprasers, who know classic/collectible Buicks, to make a witten appraisal on my 1971 Buick Skylark Custom convertible. We (my Skylark and I) are in Hickory, North Carolina, which is about 25 miles North of Lincolnton, NC; 20 miles South of Lenoir, NC; 25 miles East of Morganton, NC, and 30 miles West of Statesville, NC, or about 65 miles Northwest of Charlotte.

(Note: I already posted this once, some time ago, but I've yet to see it posted on the site, so I'm trying again to have and see it posted!)

MikeCS113....What I have done in the past to prove how much to insure my 1931 Dodge Brothers coupe for was to go through publications such as Hemmings, Collector Car, etc. and find a "comparable" car to yours for sale. That will possibly tell your agent what the average worth of your car is. I also include copies of some antique auto price guides to show condition and worth. Granted...the magazines are not always correct, but it gives the insurance agent some verification that you are not out of line. When you compile the stack of "proof", see if the agent will take that or go to a Notary Public to have it stamped. It has worked for me in the past with State Farm without the Notary Public. Good luck! John

Thank you for the response. If at all possible, I'm looking to find an appraiswer who knows classic/collectible Buicks, who is closer to Hickory, NC, than China Grove, NC.

Does anybody know such an appraiser who is closer to Hickory, NC, than China Grove, NC?

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeCS113</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alas, the insurance agent requires...requires...a written appraisal, written by an appraiser. </div></div>

Who is your insurance company? If they are not a collector/specialty car insurer, you should find one. I have Hagerty. They DO NOT require a written apparisal for initial insurance or to increase your coverage. You just need to provide them with a set of photos and description of the car and changes you have made to it. YOU determine the value of your car. As long as your photos and description back up your estimated value, they will accept it, no questions asked.

I had a problem with AAA classic car last year, I had my 1948, 1921 and 66 mustang insured and I went to ad my '41 Dodge and they said that it was not worth their 5000 min. because it wasnt painted, yet, the minimal value is almost 5000 and I had reciepts = 5000, anyway, I told them that everything had been redone except the paint, and then I asked them that if I had it painted would they insure it, and they said yes. So, I went down to Earl Scheib spent 500 bucks (which would have been the regular insurance for the year) and then they insured it for the fully restored price! So, these companies are kind of stupid, also, many dont cover you unless you have been driving for 10 years, which is also stupid, because I am a 'california safe driver' and have never had a ticket or accident, and my cars are all 6 cyl or 4 cyl.

I second Bill Hargele's post. I've got three cars with Hagerty's and not one of them had to be appraised. The last one I added is a work in progress that is far from done and the picture indicates such; the only question they had about it was "how long will it take me to finish it?".

Friends who have old collector cars insured by old car insurers other than Hagerty report equal satisfaction with their insurers.

I would also suggest that you consider an insurance company that specializes in Antique Autos. They will save you lots of money over a "normal" insurance company.

If you still want an appraisal, I still suggest that you contact Eric Marsh. I think you will find that he travels enough that he might be able to stop by your place, or meet you somewhere closer to your home and appraise it for you. He is a super guy to work with. He met me in Charlotte to appraise my car when I went to Autofair last year.

Bill

Thank you for your response.

They ("classic/collectible auto insurors [including Hagerty]) of course require at least "money down" to "write" any policy, same as any other, right?

But, your information is good for future reference when I do have the $ to "switch".

MCHinson.

It isn't a matter of my “still (wanting) an appraisal", it is a matter of my current insurance agent having suddenly discovered, after 5 years, an alleged (quote) “mistake made by (one of her employees)" and as suddenly now requiring...requiring (quote) "a written appraisal, written by an appraiser" which is something the previous agent for the same company (State Farm), in a State which I previously endured (Florida), never required.

Thusfar it's looking like I'll be following your suggestion and see if Eric Marsh will be here in (quote) "the Hickory Metro area" any time soon, or if he will "meet me half-way" between here and China Grove (NC), such as in Statesville, or ?

Thank you very much for all of the information which you provided.

MikeCS113

If I remember correctly, the classic insurance company that I use issued a binder of coverage on my antique and sent me a bill, which gave me a week or two to pay. The classic policy was really inexpensive compared to my normal insurance company's rate for similar coverage.

24T42

At this point I believe that I have Eric's (Rick) Marsh's correct email address, provided by MCHinson.

Do you have that and/or other contact information, such as Rick's telephone number?

Thank you again.

Sincerely, MikeCS113

NC has some peculiar insurance requirements, but I think your agent is blowing smoke.

Something that could be jerking her may be the amount you want to insure the car for. You sure you're not overvaluing the car? My insurer does not require a written appraisal unless you're trying to insure for over $25k agreed value. Even in a world corrupted by Barrett-Jackson pricing, I can't see where a nice Skylark convert should command more than that.

You really need to get that car off a regular policy and onto a collector policy. The difference in premiums will make it worth your while and you will have better coverage. Some collector policies will also cover spare parts and literature.

China Grove is roughly an hour away from you. That's a short drive that would be great for the car, and it's a nice drive thru there on 2-lane state roads this time of year.

Then again a 2-lane backroad trip is nice any time of year! grin.gif

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeCS113</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill

They ("classic/collectible auto insurors [including Hagerty]) of course require at least "money down" to "write" any policy, same as any other, right?

But, your information is good for future reference when I do have the $ to "switch". </div></div>

Do not understand what you mean by "money down" and "write" a policy.

I called them on the phone, talked with them about my car, they quoted me a price for what I said the car was worth and asked for photos. I sent them the photos. A short time later I received my policy with the bill. When I finished the car, I went on their website and increased my policy limits. They followed up a few days later with a phone call. I sent them more photos, they sent me a revised policy and new bill. I currently pay $165 per year (plus $24 per year for roadside assistance) for a $20,000.00, agreed value policy with $0.00 deductable.

Now, Hagerty will not insure just any old car, but they tell you on their web site exactly what they will or won't insure.

I bet the cost of the appraisal will be as much, if not more, than the cost of the annual policy from a true collector car insurer. The only reason I had my car appraised was in case some person damaged my car and THEIR insurance company gave me a hard time about the value of my car.

Glen

Thanks for your response.

As it happened, almost 9 years ago, agent in Florida covered it for $10K "Agreed Value", without requiring a (quote) "written appraisal"; we moved here to NC @ 5 years ago, and now, all of a sudden, the agent here is claiming that one of her employees made the mistake of merely assuming it was simply another old car and listed it as such, and now the agent is requiring a (quote) "written appraisal, by an appraiser" to change that.

And yes, in the words of members of one of the area Buick clubs said, I am looking to (quote) "drop State Farm like a hot potato", and go with "Grundy" or "Hagarty".

"Money down" regards perhaps an "old paradigm" of such "regualr insurance companies" as "State Farm, and others" accepting either "cash" to "write" a policy for an entire year of "coverage" and "yearly renewals", or "money down" followed by "monthly premiums" for either a year or a year "split" into 2 increments of "6 months each".

I thought "Write a policy" is self-explanatory, especially according to certainly every auto insurance agent I've ever heard of and/or dealt with.

And, it is safe to assume by now, I am finally heeding both my instincts, and now the advice of others, and looking to (quote) "drop State Farm like a hot potato" and go with a "collector car insuror" such as (for example) "Hagerty".

Thank you again, Bill

Sincerely, MikeCS113

Ted

(Quote) "Good move, since State Farm doesn't sell 'Agreed (upon) Value" insurance??

Please read, or read again, what I wrote to "Glen" regarding what the State Farm agent in Florida did. To wit: "(The State Farm) agent in Florida covered it for $10K 'Agreed Value" (without ever requiring a

"written appraisal by an appraiser").

Plus, the State Farm agent here in North Carolina is refering to doing the same thing (covering it for

"Agreed Value"), but is requiring (quote) "a written appraisal, written by an appraiser", to (quote) "correct a mistake made by (one of her employees)" by switching it from being listed/insured as just another old car to much higher (quote) "agreed value" as an "Antique/classic/collectible" car.

Thanks for caring enough to respond anyway.

MikeCS113

I don't know about State Farm, but I have previously purchased agreed value coverage from Nationwide. It was something that I did for a short time, because it was way more expensive than Grundy is.

MikeCS113 -- Just read the thread and I have a comment.

Why ask a question and then get so huffy about the responses? You asked for advice and people are giving you some. I once tried to insure my antique car through my regular insurer and, frankly, they can't do a good job of it. You either get poor coverage, high rates or have to jump through a bunch of hoops. Take everyone's advice -- go to a antique car insurer. It's a lot easier and cheaper; when you do have a claim it will be handled by people who know what they are doing.

As for "ANY more comments or arguments from you will be dealt with swiftly...", lighten up. This is an antique car forum, for God sakes. There will always be disagreements and debates. Deal with them. I post Qs and get answers I don't like, but I don't threaten to call the Web Police.

Ransom

As always, whether in school, or the office, or whereever, there is sometimes one who thrives on argument, so of course they will try to start one, and so of course then somebody has to let them know not to bother here.

It isn't a matter of (quote) "Getting huffy", it's a matter of letting an arguer or trouble-maker know not to bother here.

Neither I nor anybody else likes having to do that, especially because of the "fall out" I or anyone else may get from anyone else, but it's like (the late) President Harry Truman said: (Quote) "No matter what you do; no matter how right it is, there'll always be somebody out there who won't like it. So what to do? Do it anyway."

Plus, as you can see from the direction my responses are taking from almost everyone's responses, I certainly am learning yet another lesson (as I said before) to follow my "instincts", along with the advice I'm receiving, and, as one advisor said (quote) "Drop State Farm like a hot potato, and go with a classic car insuror (such as Hagerty, for example)".

Thanks again. Sincerely, MikeCS113