QUESTION ON REBUILDING ENGINE 1961 CADILLAC

Guest thug23

Guest thug23

I'M ABOUT TO HAVE MY ENGINE REBUILT BECAUSE ITS MOST LIKELY WAY OVER 100K AND I WANT TO KEEP IT FOR A WHILE AND OBVIUOSLY WOULD LIKE IT TO RUN AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE. SO MY QUESTIONS ARE;

1.WHAT SHOULD I LOOK TO HAVE DONE WHEN I HAVE THE ENGINE PULLED AND START TO HAVE THINGS REBUILT/

2. I HAD THE VALVE COVERS PAINTED LAST YEAR "CADILLAC BLUE" AND WAS WONDERING SHOULD I ALSO PAINT THE ENGINE BLOCK THE SAME COLOR?

ANY OTHER HINTS OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED FROM THOSE WHO KNOW.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

If Cadillac engines were that color of blue yes you would want to paint the engine that color but not until it is rebuilt and back together.

The first thing you want done is for the block to be vatted

and thoroughly cleaned internally to remove all of the dirt, etc. from the water jackets. It will not run cool after being rebuilt if you do not have this done.

Second have the taper in the bores measured. If the taper is less than .0003 you will not have to have it rebored, just deglazed and put new rings in it. I recently rebuilt a '61 Pontiac engine with 90,000 miles on it which had almost no taper (every bore .0003 or less) and all it needed was polishing of the crank journals, new bearings and new rings. Since the car will never be raced and only goes to week end cruise ins it will last my lifetime and then some. If the taper is .0004 or larger in four holes and .0003 or less in four you can bore and put new pistons in just the four large holes if you want or need to save a little $$.

Third have a valve job done on the heads and with that many miles insist on new valve guides. If you only go to cruise ins I would not worry about having hardened exhaust valve seats installed. If you plan to drive it long distances I would probably have them installed.

I could go on but will stop now and let others weigh in.