1929 54CCX Is this insanity

50jetback

Well after finishing the 34 Roadster I have found myself without a another project waiting in the shed.

I was pretty comfortable with this and thought I could relax and just do maintenance on my restored cars. The workshop doesn't seem the same though without some ancient hulk sitting in the middle awaiting it's turn to once again see the highway.

Just by chance I phoned an old acquaintance to arrange a club visit to his farm and look at an old Buick he has had for the past 50 years. His response was he was to embarrassed to let a group of Buick restorer/owners see the car. He had dismantled the car some 40 odd years ago with the intention of restoring it, had a radiator re cored and did some work on the steering column and chassis, then nothing more.

Although being stored in a farm shed it had deteriorated badly and the dreaded termites ate most of the wooden body frame.

To cut a long story short he has offered the car to me at a fairly reasonable price, probably less than what could be realised from it's sale as parts.

I know the reason the car was put off the road 50 years ago was because it overheated and cracked the head, but now it really is just a collection of body panels and mechanical parts, although it is 100% complete ( just minus the body wood, or most of it ).

If this was a relatively common 116 series tourer I wouldn't contemplate its restoration. The problem is it's a Series 129 54CC Convertible Coupe, a rare car worthy of being restored.

The million dollar question, should it come home to my workshop?

post-31244-143138009859_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138009862_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138009865_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138009868_thumb.jpg

post-31244-14313800987_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Thriller

Stuart,

Having seen the photo of you taking your other car home in similar condition, I'd say the answer is yes. Bob Sheppard (sp?) is in OZ and he has parts and knowledge of '29s. The 1930 Yahoo group has a fair amount of support for '29s and Bill McLaughlin has a '29 newsletter that is put out. So, if you don't have easy access to resources, there is a wealth of information / knowledge waiting to be tapped.

Besides, you can race me...the plan is to bring my '29 Model 51 home on Saturday...I'd almost bet yours would be done before mine.

Say, is that a McLaughlin-Buick or an American Buick? The hub caps for the optional artillery wheels would have McLaughlin on them if the car was built in Canada. Of course, I don't know when Holden got going...I recall someone answering that before, but I'm pretty forgetful.

Good luck making a decision.

Derek,

Thanks for the vote of confidence but just had a call from the owner saying he's had a change of heart and doesn't want to part with the car now.

He's retiring next year and has decided to resume his restoration then.

I am still on top of the list if he has a change of heart.

Sure would be a nice car to see back on the road, we'll wait and see how it progresses, what's another 10 or 20 years!!!!

keep in touch with him. There is a high probability that he will hit the same 'wall' he hit those many years ago.

If you really want it, I'd guess it will be available within a year or two of his retirement. Of course, I've been wrong before....

He'll NEVER do it. You just re-invigorated his interest with your visit. You have heard the old saying ------

" I'm gonna do it up one day mate " This is a prime example of his thinking after 40 years. mad.gif

He is what we call a storer not a re- storer.

I don't know his capability but what I do know is that I started with about a 50% car ( call that parts ) of my 1929 tourer. I know the time , work , money, expertise , patience, dedication, loss of family time etc etc. required to RE-BUILD one of these. And living out in the sticks does not help his cause. He needs to get over it and give it to someone who can do it justice. Keep on his back.

Stuart,

I do not recall, watching the progress on the '34, how much wood work you had to do on it, but I would think the '29 is more straight lines and a bit easier to work, so that challenge could be handled.

Too bad the "spark" was ignited to change his mind and that too may change again as the others have suggested.

But now you have another decision - do you find something else that would fill the bill for a project? Sure enough, if you do, this one may then become available again, possibly leaving you with two projects. Good luck.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Stuart:

What is it with you down-unders in Australia? That car is RARE, only 91 built in 1929. Grab it if you can. I've seen many of these situations where it's "someday".

A little math lesson: 2 hours a week X 52 weeks per year X 40 years = 4160 hours, which gets a car done. (AKA as "determination", which you have!!)

Alternative is: It's nothing but a pile of bones and another rare one is gone.

GO, Stuart!!

A member of your cheering squad,

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dave,

I'm keeping in touch with the owner, I don't think he will ever restore the car.

What worries me is he is retiring next year and moving to the coast ( something farmers do here, retire from inland and move somewhere along our coast, plenty of it as we have 12000 kms of coast around Western Australia!! ). As you can see in the photos the car is in a million pieces and major body panels are in a " delicate " state. If he decided to let me have it I would sooner it be before he moves it all to the coast, being a farmer it will probably be lifted on the back of a truck with a front end loader and body panels tossed on top.

Anyway, I'm hanging in there, it sure is a car worthy of restoration and would keep me entertained for three or four years!!!!