Tents In Hershey Chocolate Field

If there <B>IS</B> a 40 MPH wind rule and it is enforced, I doubt that there will be any tents in the flea market. But then before long, if things keep getting more difficult, unpleasant and uncomfortable for the vendors, there may not be a flea market as we have all come to know and love it. frown.gif" border="0<P>We must all face the fact that whenever Herco wants our various flea market areas for a more profitible year round endeavor, we are history. frown.gif" border="0 <P>hvs

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

The preceeding coments are from the president of the HERCO fan club. Howard do not hold back next time. mad.gif" border="0

Sal ~ I'm the president of the Realists Club. rolleyes.gif" border="0<P>We don't stick our heads in the sand or try to kid ourselves that everything is going to turn out to be just wonderful.<P>As for Herco and the land, they are a business and a publicly held company. Their job is to show a profit and a fair return to their stockholders. If I owned that land and had an opportunity to put it to productive, profitible use year round, and not just one week per year, you can bet it would get developed. We just ain't that big a deal in the greater scheme of things.<P>While I may not like what they will probably do with the land eventually, I understand the motivation. That is why I classify myself as a realist.<P>hvs<p>[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

I did not want to start something, but I agree with you completely. Herco is out for themselves. I don't know if this is a rule, but I'm beginning to think this is just a rumor. If anything more is heard, I'll post it. the 'unregistered' label must be because I forgot to add my password.

My spots are on the old runway. I tie my canopy down that the anchors will withstand the 40 MPH winds. I don't know that the canopy itself will withstand it. <P>If it were to blow away taking up anchor to it would move 6 gallon cans filled w/ concrete, 150 lbs trailer, and another 10,000 lbs called my truck & slide-in camper. wink.gif" border="0

I have a spot in the newly blacktopped Chocolate Field and have a question regarding tents. As far as I know, we will not be allowed to stake the tents to the new blacktop, which is to be expected. However, some other Chocolate vendors told me that the tent must be able to withstand 40 mph winds, or we will be told to take it down. Is there any info to confirm this? I don't remember reading this in any of the literature, and would like to know. I think it would be difficult to have even a commercially erected tent without stakes to withstand 40 mph winds.

Guest rcirilli

I resently heard from a very good source that everything put up on the field will receive a lot of scrutiny. Starting with the tents, while most of them are rented and will comply many of the smaller venders may be caught by surprise. The hershey region will be liable for any damage to the new black top as they are everthing else. This may be a trying Hershey show for eveyone concerned. I don't think anyone really knows what to expect.

Bob, I think your last sentence sums it all up.<P>As for oldfords question, I would say that unless you've seen it in writing in your fall meet packet, I wouldn't get to concerned. I would think that most the vendors will come well prepared with setting up their tents. Then again, maybe the Hershey Region will conduct on the spot wind tunnel tests, who knows? rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>I have heard from some of those involved with the Chocolate Field that if they do catch anyone placing stakes in the blacktop, they will be closed down and removed. But then again, I have not seen that in writing either.<P>Rick

Just amazed that an official Hershey Region person isn't participating in this discussion, or better yet, creating other discussions around what will be expected of the vendors setting up in the flea market. What the field conditions are/will be. <P>Anyone listening???? frown.gif" border="0

Although I am located on the old blacktop of the White field, I have always been careful to leave the space as it was when I arrive. A near neighbor doesn't hesitate to drive stakes, though. Given the conditions, it probably doesn't hurt anything but I personally couldn't do it without direct permission. <P>I thought about the concrete thing but that's a heckuva lotta weight to drag up and down the mountains on the way down and back.<P>So, along with the accessory "feet" for my canopy poles, I purchased eight new five-gallon carboys. They can be filled with clean water at the first opportunity in or near town. The water isn't as heavy as concrete but forty gallons of the stuff ain't light, either. It can be used for cleaning, dishwashing, and bathing, too (only after dark, though blush.gif" border="0 !) Saves that early morning hike in search of the stuff. After the meet, if the water's unused, the carboys can be emptied at any appropriate spot if you don't want the extra weight going home.<P>Sounds like this year I should bring another four along for a little more security, though.<P>Crude, but it works for me.

Chuck ~ I believe you have previously mentioned this lack of input from the home team. frown.gif" border="0 There seems to be a policy of consistently setting low standards of communication and then constantly failing to achieve them. shocked.gif" border="0<P>If they were any more silent, they would have to be watered twice a week. rolleyes.gif" border="0<P>hvs wink.gif" border="0

Ccar, Maybe someone should write to them and let them know about this forum the club has. I agree with your saying on a earlier posting that you would think they would take avantage of the free PR that is here with using this forum. Maybe the forum isn't important?<BR> <BR>I thought I read on here sometime back that we were to get updates about the show when this was brought up before. What ever happened to that? <P>In all fairness though, it is a heck of a undertaking for them each year and I appriciate their hard work, but sometimes I wonder if bigger really is better. I just wish one person from there would see the importance this forum has for the AACA membership.

Flea Market stuff came today. <BR>Thou shalt not put anything in the blacktop. Thou shalt put pads this wide by this long by this thick under everything except apparently tires, but nothing about requiring hold down weights. <BR>Good sense dictates they should be used, but I'm suprised they arn't mentioned. <BR>(I don't think I missed their mention.)

Eureka!!! I'm going to get out of the flea market business and into the ground pad business. I could probably do even better than the guy who sells green trash can liners for raincoats at Hershey when it rains. <P>Now lets see --- I could take on a sideline of trash can liners, pray for rain, sell "raincoats" when the rain comes and watch it ruin all of the pads. Then in 2002, I could sell pads again to this year's buyers, and those who will be on the new blacktop in the green field. cool.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>hvs

I don't mind being held responsible for damaging the asphalt but I don't like their engineering for how big and thick the pads need to be. I already planned to take pads along but they are asking for pads that could hold up to much heavier camper jacks and canopy poles than 99% of the people on the field really need.<P>Not sure if I should bring what is needed or bring the extra 100lbs or so of wood or steel plates to meet their requirements. If I thought the enforcement would be as goos as most of the restriction, I would just bring what is needed to do the job.<P>I really get tired of their pages of colored paper saying thou shall not do this and that under penalty of being thrown out for life.<P>Jim...

I just read my vendors packet too!<P>It said, Thou shalt wipe thy feet before entering Chocolate Field. If entering Chocolate Field from Yellow Field, Thou shalt take a bath first! wink.gif" border="0

If, as Howard and his fellow realists indicate, our position with HERCO is tenuous, and the Club can find resources to build a Library, why couldn't the same Club turn its efforts to locating and purchasing an 800-or-so-acre farm on which to host the show in Oct. (or better, early August when rain is not such a sure thing) confused.gif" border="0

I just received my packet for my YELLOW field spaces. Just a few restrictions about<BR>what we cannot sell, where we cannot post signs or hang parts; but nothing about restrictions on bringing rubber rafts, half tracks, hip waders or mud gear. I cannot believe that this vital survival gear is not included in some regulation on some exotic colored paper. wink.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

Guest rcirilli

The idea of buying a farm came about some 20 years ago and you can see it's never happened. My understanding is that the Hershey Region Ain't Gion Anyware!!!!

No worrys Yellow Field vendors and YF shoppers! We'll be installing the "catch nets" in a few weeks in Middletown at the Turnpike bridge just before the dam. We also have at a minimal charge, two shuttle buses up and running for the return trip back, so all can continue with their shopping pleasure. wink.gif" border="0