Dave Corbin request 1931 numbers

50jetback

Dave,

Wondering what you can tell me about Chassis number 2518081

Engine number 2662853.

Should be a 1931 Series 60 and most likely an export stripped chassis.

Approximate date of manufacture would be nice especially if it is an early number and possibly pre December 31 1930.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Stuart

Frame numbr 2,518,081 was the 15th car in the first batch of 44 1931 Model 672X cars. The second batch was 4 cars for a total 1931 production of 48. The first 40 cars, which would include yours, was packed out of Flint in August 1930. The last 4 cars in the batch went out in September 1930, so your car was out of Flint probably in August 1930.

The engine number you give of 2,662,853 is a 60 series engine from early August 1930, so everything matches.

A 672X is a model 67 with a partial body back to the windshield and will normally have rear fenders and a rear bumper packed loose. This would be what Holden would get and they would finish the car there. For your information, "The Hitory of Holden" by Norm Darwin shows 573 Buicks registerd in 1931.

I hope this helps. I'm off to Hershey tomorrow early AM for 5 days of old cars to the max!!!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Thanks Dave, great information and I'll pass it on to the cars owner, and will post a photo of the car when I see it on the weekend.

I'm not sure were Norm Darwin has sourced his 1931/32 and 33 Buick registrations from. They don't tally with the Holden body production figures which indicate only 185 bodies built in 1931 ( and 573 registered ). I guess the other 388 vehicles could comprise of fully imported complete vehicles although I doubt there would have been many of those and the most likely explanation would be the sale of previous unsold vehicles from 1930 and in particular the 1929 Marquette. They were quiet unpopular here and it took until 1932 or possibly 1933 before they were all sold.

Thanks again for you information and enjoy Hershey ( just wish I was there myself )

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Stuart:

I'm back from Hershey and somewhat caught up at work. Those pictures of the 1931 are what makes my life fun and why I'm glad to help. "Smashing!!" as our Brit friends would say.

Regards, Dave Corbin