POR 15 or other rust encapsulators

SMB

Has anyone here had any long term experience using POR 15 or similar products. I can't seem to find any reviews which go beyond the "It looks nice after I finished it yesterday" types.

If you can direct me to where to research these products I would appreciate it.

Thanks

POR 15 is pretty good stuff, but it doesn't hold up to ultraviolet rays. If you're painting a frame that won't see sunlight, it's good stuff.

When my father ran the highway department, he put that stuff in the salt boxes and poured rocksalt in them and used them to sand the roads. It held the rust as good or better than anything else, but the sun took a toll on it.

I believe POR 15 has advanced some over the years, I had a can I bought so long ago I could not remember what year I got it. It was called Por-15 Topcoat, and I just used part of it last year on some patch panel floor pans I put in my Electra and then left exposed for a whole year. I did not notice any deterioration of the finish. I also note there was no rust coming through either. I also just finished up the can a week ago or so.

In most cases I put this stuff on after wirebrushing the rust and it does form a tough coat over it. But my car is just an experiment in how long it will last. If I thought the car had any value I think I would have tried to wirebrush the rust more and hit it with some acid etch( Metal Ready wash) before putting the Por 15 on.

In some cases I had new metal and that I primed first with self etching primer and then put the Por 15 on. That seems to work really nice.

On some other pieces I used NAPA Rust treatment spray according to directions, then primed with self etching primer and topcoated with POR 15. All of these processes seemed to work pretty well but I think it would need at least 3 years to determine what the real outcome will be.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnD1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe POR 15 has advanced some over the years, I had a can I bought so long ago I could not remember what year I got it. It was called Por-15 Topcoat, and I just used part of it last year on some patch panel floor pans I put in my Electra and then left exposed for a whole year. I did not notice any deterioration of the finish. I also note there was no rust coming through either. I also just finished up the can a week ago or so.

In most cases I put this stuff on after wirebrushing the rust and it does form a tough coat over it. But my car is just an experiment in how long it will last. If I thought the car had any value I think I would have tried to wirebrush the rust more and hit it with some acid etch( Metal Ready wash) before putting the Por 15 on.

In some cases I had new metal and that I primed first with self etching primer and then put the Por 15 on. That seems to work really nice.

On some other pieces I used NAPA Rust treatment spray according to directions, then primed with self etching primer and topcoated with POR 15. All of these processes seemed to work pretty well but I think it would need at least 3 years to determine what the real outcome will be. </div></div>

Well, I hate to say it, but you did not use the POR-15 correctly.

First of all, the POR-15 Top Coat is exactly that: a top coat to go on top of the POR-15 rust preventative coating. The rust preventative coating is designed to be applied directly over rusted metal AFTER it has been treated with Marine Clean and Metal Ready. After drying, the POR-15 rust preventative coating is applied. Finally the POR-15 Top CVaot can be applied over the cured POR-15 if there is exposure to sunlight (UV rays).

Here is the POR-15 website with information on how to properly use the products: http://www.por15.com/

I have been using POR-15 for several years and am very pleased with the results. I have used the rust preventative coatings, various top coats and primers, the trunk & floorpan repair kit, and the fuel tank restoration kit. All have worked as promised.

You're right, according to those directions I did do it wrong. I saved a link to their web site so I can go back to it in the future.

Good thing this particular car is just a three year experiment going on it's 2nd year.

Guest elmo39

I have been a car painter for about 40 yrs (now retired)and have never used por15, put it down to set in my ways ,coudn't see how it could work or what ever, so i didn't think that i would be qualified to comment . but a friend of mine restored a British Vauxhall light truck (pick up)and had the dash painted with por15 hi gloss, and its black which attracs the heat. ex98thdrill says that it won't stand up to ultra violet rays , well it was painted 5 years ago , and New Zealand is supposed to have the highest concentration of ultra violet rays in the world, the dash still looks as good as the day it was painted , and the truck is not locked up all the time it is used in all conditions winter and summer .

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elmo39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been a car painter for about 40 yrs (now retired)and have never used por15, put it down to set in my ways ,coudn't see how it could work or what ever, so i didn't think that i would be qualified to comment . but a friend of mine restored a British Vauxhall light truck (pick up)and had the dash painted with por15 hi gloss, and its black which attracs the heat. ex98thdrill says that it won't stand up to ultra violet rays , well it was painted 5 years ago , and New Zealand is supposed to have the highest concentration of ultra violet rays in the world, the dash still looks as good as the day it was painted , and the truck is not locked up all the time it is used in all conditions winter and summer . </div></div>

He probably used POR-15 Blackcote (http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=BC&dept=4) which is a topcoat for use over the POR-15 rust preventive coating or anything else. Blackcote is not UV sensitive, unlike the rust preventive coating (http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=1&dept=1). People tend to forget that POR-15 (the company) makes many different products of which the POR-15 rust preventive coating is only one.

Guest elmo39

I'm not to sure exactly what he used except that it was a hi gloss por15 top coat , if that is right about the por15 rust preventitive being uv sensitive that is not much difference to any undercoat, most of which should be top coated within a short time or they will break down , or absorb moisture or both,

I am approaching 6 years of POR-15 use with a car the is prone to rust, and gets and stays wet on a regular basis. Zero issues, no peeling and it even stood up to brake fluid from a leaky master cylinder for 2 weeks. You must follow the manufactures instructions. When taking down to bare metal you must allow for some tooth so it will adhere properly. As in anything associated with paint, it is all in the prep work.

I have been using POR-15 for about 10 years now.

When used according to the manufacturer's directions is works well.

When people do not follow the directions (using the Marine Clean & Metal Ready when appropriate), it does not work well.

BTW, a couple of years ago a friend of mine and I did a test of POR-15. I had some leftover so we painted a rusty patch of a car body dolly he stores outside. Over the last 2-3 years of being exposed to the elements (including sunlight) it had turned gray in color (it was originally Black). When we last checked it, there was no peeling or cracks and it appeared to be still doing it's job.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elmo39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not to sure exactly what he used except that it was a hi gloss por15 top coat , if that is right about the por15 rust preventitive being uv sensitive that is not much difference to any undercoat, most of which should be top coated within a short time or they will break down , or absorb moisture or both, </div></div>

The POR-15 rust preventive coating only changes color when exposed to sunlight. It does not break down, peel, chip, absorb water, or otherwise degrade. It is not an undercoat or primer. It is a rust preventive coating.

I have had very good experiences using POR 15, usually on floors and frames. I painted POR 15 on a rusty cast iron door to my wood storage box for my fire place (outside the house). I did a quick wire brushing and nothing else. It has held up for 15 years with no rust showing.

No Ron I'm not knocking POR-15. I was illustrating a case where it did start to show signs of failure, but we're talking about the inside of a salt box where you are dumping rock salt into it with a payloader. This is a case where it isn't foolproof, but it will fail. None of us put our cars through the elements and abuse that my dad was doing with the salt box.

POR-15 is tough stuff, but it isn't necessarily bulletproof.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No Ron I'm not knocking POR-15. I was illustrating a case where it did start to show signs of failure, but we're talking about the inside of a salt box where you are dumping rock salt into it with a payloader. This is a case where it isn't foolproof, but it will fail. None of us put our cars through the elements and abuse that my dad was doing with the salt box.

POR-15 is tough stuff, but it isn't necessarily bulletproof. </div></div>

Your earlier post said:

"POR 15 is pretty good stuff, but it doesn't hold up to ultraviolet rays. If you're painting a frame that won't see sunlight, it's good stuff.

When my father ran the highway department, he put that stuff in the salt boxes and poured rocksalt in them and used them to sand the roads. It held the rust as good or better than anything else, but the sun took a toll on it."

So the only failure you noted was due to sun exposure. POR-15 tells you that the stuff is UV sensitive, hence the reason to top coat it. That is not a failure. When applied properly, the stuff IS darn near bullet proof.

I put two coats of "Masterseries" silver on my 1988 Wells Cargo trailer's galvanized roof a few years back, which was starting to turn pretty red-rusty-looking after years of outdoor storage, and it's held up quite well over the past several years. I didn't do any sort of prep on the trailer roof either--basically just rolled it on with a paint roller. It was recommended for this application, and I think the recommendation was a good one.

I've also heard that it works well as a durable inside-the-tank metal sealer for old gas tanks.

Chuck was out in front of the Giant Center with his "Masterseries" booth last week (I guess that's the "orange field" in that area?), and it appeared that many other folks are (or are about to become) "believers."

Ref: http://www.masterseriesct.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill. I was parked beside you with my Impala at the baloon fest last weekend. Just now found this forum by Googling "POR 15 Virginia." Do you know of a local supplier of POR 15 products or is mail-order the best way? Brad

Guest windjamer

If you think it wont last get some on your hands. I have used it for near 15 years, LOVE it wouldnt tuch it with a stick with out rubber gloves on not evan a new unopened can. Well maby if it was sealed tight.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Bill. I was parked beside you with my Impala at the baloon fest last weekend. Just now found this forum by Googling "POR 15 Virginia." Do you know of a local supplier of POR 15 products or is mail-order the best way? Brad </div></div>

http://www.por15.com/

Sometimes they show up at the Sully show. Not available in local stores that I know of.

Hope to see you again next season. I won a Top 40 at the show. Four years in a row. grin.gif