torn cv boot

rofly1

When I was changing the oil and filter yesterday, I noticed just one torn boot on the cv axle. I think napa had a two piece boot. Has anyone used them with any success? I hear no sounds coming yet. Would it be advisable to change both boots?

Thanks Roger

Guest simplyconnected

Those boots are absolutely essential for keeping dirt out of your precision-ground bearing sets in your cv joint, and holding proper lubrication in.

If it were my car, I would pull the half-shaft out, and thouroughly wash and inspect the cv joint. After careful scrutiny, and if it's still ok, you can buy a boot AND a packet of cv lube (they come pre-measured). All gear & transmission garages have what you need. Call one or two.

The rule is, if the boot is open, half-shaft replacement is just around the corner because dirt is an abrasive that sticks to the lubricant which wears metal like a grinding wheel. I hope this helps. - Dave

takes quite a while to wear to where it breaks or is noticeable if its been ripped long. the price of a replacement its is a 3.0V6 or 2.2L auto car would probably be better just to get a whole new axle and just keep the tone ring for the abs off of your old one

• 2 weeks later...

Rofly;

Thanks for posting your 1 Oct message about the axel boots. Change my oil today and check both boots and found they have started to crack. Had I not read yours and simplyconnectted posting I would have over looked these small cracks.

Now to order some. I am debating to order direct from Chrysler or go to NAPA. Would be grateful for advise on where to get the best product.

Cheers,

Bob Steele

TC America member

Patrick;

Should I replace the axels if the boots are only cracked? I have no seperations in any part of the rubber boots.

Please advise.

Bob Steele

TC America Member

I had the torn boot replaced last week. The boot was a one piece. It came from Advanced auto parts. I did not replace the axle. There was no noises when turning before and after the replacement. I may have to replace it, time will tell. Thanks for all of your input and helpful advice. I had a shop do the work. He didnt think the axle needed to be replaced.

89TC and Roly1;

Thanks for your recommendations on the boots. Was able to source my replacements for both the inner and outer boot kits from Chrysler. Hope these will fit.

Cheers,

Bob S

Lou;

Once I get the boots installed and they pass the test I will pass on the information to all.

Please do not expect an answer within the next 20 days for it take the US mail 7-14 days to arrive at my APO address.

Cheers,

Bob

Bill;

Thanks for the head ups on removing the grease and the clamps. I sure hope my replacement boots come with clamps for I did not order replacements. Where did you purchase your replacement clamps? I will follow up with the folks that shipped my boots in the the A M to see if they have spares clamps on hand.

Cheers,

Bob S

Guest mtworkshop

My mechanic friend says "You better check your engine mounts when the CV boots go bad." Auto Zone Carries the mounts in stock and they are very easy to replace. The transmission mount must be replaced with the wheel off so you may as well do it while changing the CV shaft. My engine mounts were so bad that they caused spalling of the bearing cone on the drivers side of the transmission output. sick.gif

Mike