Longer wheel bolts ?

Finally got my new set of WW radials for the 54 Riviera last week. So jack her up and take off all the wheels. Took the old rag tyres off ready to prepare and paint the rims when I noticed they didn't look as wide as they should be. Sure enough after measuring, the rims are only 6 inch where they are supposed to be 6.5 inch standard. frown.gif

Then these 7 inch chrome wheels come up for sale and I'm thinking they might look OK. The problem is the backspacing.

The front tyre will rub up against the tie rod and the brake drum rivets will get in the way. I will have to fit a thin spacer ( 1/4" ? ) to push the tyre out further. The stock bolts will then not be long enough.

Questions are ----

Can I buy longer taper end 9/16" wheel bolts ?

Could I get hex high tensile bolts and screw them in from the other side of brake drum and use nuts on wheel ?

Has anybody faced this situation before.

Thanks.

post-41457-143138008007_thumb.jpg

If you move the rim away from the spindles there will be no support to keep the rim from putting pressure directly on the bolts. With the flexing involved in turns and such I think you would snap the bolts in a short time. The bolts are to hold the rim to the drum the center of the drum bears the weight. I could be wrong but for your own safety please check on this.

Ken

Are you sure about the original rim size? In 55 all rims were 6 inches except the Special had 5.5 inch. I do know that the 53 Skylark used 6.5 inch wire wheels. I have never used radials, but others have on stock wheels. What size are the radials that you want to install?

Willie

Willie, yes I'm sure on the wheel size. 1954 Roadmaster & Supers had ( or supposed to ) 6.5 inch rims. 1955 & 56 should be the same ?

These wheels come off a 1957 Super, so I'm heading down there tomorrow to see how they were bolted up to that.

Ken.

Ken

I was hopeing some else would jump in here. The BCA judging manual is all FUBAR with respect to tire and rim sizes for 50-60's Buicks. My point is your new tires should work well on the 6in rims...seems that you want more 'bling' with the chrome rims smile.gif.

Willie

Well I was just left a bit flat after discovering they were only 6 inches. I suppose 1/2 inch is no big deal.

Bling ? , yes I reckon you could say that.

But after talking this morning looks like it's not going to happen. We could not agree on a price frown.gif soooo it's back to square one. Try and find the correct rims , or use the ones I've got.

Ken

I would worry more about rims that are true with no out-of-round or wobble and cosmetically nice on the exposed outter edges. That is why I ran two 6in rims and two 5.5in rims on my Century...like sizes paired on the same axle. No problems with performance nor were the differences noticable at 122 inches. Where is Lamar when we need some measurements and/or photos...

Willie

Guest Bob Call

Ken

If you are using 215 or 225 radials the 6 inch wide wheels will work OK. Ideally this size of tire should be on a 7 inch wheel, but, 7 inchers in the 50's were limited to like Cadillac ambulances and hearses with 900X15 tires.

Guest imported_MrEarl

All 54 rims were 6 inch except Special which like 55 Special were 5.5. The Kelsey-Hayes wires for 54 were 6 inch. The only 6.5 inch wheels I know of are the 53 KH.

I'm curious, what was your source for the wheels being 6.5 inch. Secondly, how did you order the tires. Based on rim size or based on year, make and model of car. If the latter, then sounds like they owe you an exchange?

On page 232 of the 1954 Shop Manual in the wheel / tyre section up the top it states that the Series 40, 50, 60, 100 had 15 X 6" rims and the Series 70 had 15 X 6.5" rims.

I have just recently heard of a 1955 Roadmaster 76R being restored locally. Apparently the owner has purchased a set of wires for it so I'm going to contact him and find out what his plans are for the original rims.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Rooster, I bet ya a gold emu egg the ones from the 55 Roadie will be 6 inches. I also bet the 6.0 ones on Irene were her original wheels. All the parts books call out for all series of 54 to run 6.0 and in 55 the 40 series went to 5.5"

I recall now seeing what you referred to in the Shop Manual but when I ordered the tires for Buttercup I actually measured one but when I ordered they said it wouldn't have mattered any how.

I go along with Willie, a half inch ain't no big thang. Mount'em and ride.

(Willie, I think this is all a scheme for him to be able to convince "somebody" he has got to buy a nice set of chromies)