Need to ID 1966 Riv Quadrajet

oldstyle

The first q-jets had a round metal plate attached to the carb body. The ID number would have been stamped into that plate. The 49 state ID number for a '66 quadrajet is 7026240, the A.I.R. carb is 7036240.

These carbs were the first generation carbs and there were some problems with them. Warranty replacements had the later ID numbers on them. Those numbers were roll-stamped vertically into the body of the carb on the left rear in vertical numbers.

I don't know the ID number for the replacement carb but I'll bet you could "Google" some key words and come up with something.

If you have the carb, "Google" the carb number in and see what pops up.

Ed

They'll be fairly hard to find. If you're not really concerned about "numbers matching," there are probably later generation carbs that will work better for you. When you're looking, just remember that unless you've made a conversion, you'll need a carb that works on a hot air choke, has the fuel inlet coming straigt out of the body (because of their number, you'll find a lot of Chevy carbs, but their inlets are 90* inlets,) and you'll need the special linkage for the transmission kickdown/switch pitch feature.

I thing that I've probably seen some "numbers matching" carbs on ebay, but you have to buy the manifold with them.

The replacement carb is stamped 7041304 on the body where Ed indicated. They are probably easier to find than the original. The replacement carb was marketed thru Delco as their #24-113 with GM #7016603 on the box.

John

I have a late 70's - early 80's Qjet on the '66 intake for my '64. To activate the kick down, I'll go with an after market switch (if I don't go with the 200R4 thansmisson,) it comes from the factory with an electric choke, it has the correct fuel inlet on it, and all the linkage is above the surface level of the intake. It originally came from a Pontiac TA with an automatic trans. The electric choke and aftermarket kickdown switch make it a really simple installation.

Ed

• 2 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The replacement carb is stamped 7041304 on the body where Ed indicated. They are probably easier to find than the original. The replacement carb was marketed thru Delco as their #24-113 with GM #7016603 on the box.

John </div></div>

Just to confirm... 7041304 is the replacement carb. I have that carburetor,and it has a front fuel inlet, but it is pointing to the passenger side. Did the original carb. have a sideways inlet? My car has rubber fuel line from the pump to the carb, and I will bend a steel line if that was original.