Oil find in ND

55chevy

I was going to post in the Bad news for GM thread but decided to start a new one, I got an email from a buddy....

3 to 4.3 Billion Barrels of Technically Recoverable Oil Assessed in North Dakota and Montana’s Bakken Formation—25 Times More Than 1995 Estimate

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911&from=rss_home

Good read, says US has more oil than all the other countries, Saudi Arabia included, we could tell them camel jockeys to go f**k their camels, email yuor friends and pressure congress.

Guest imported_barra

I used to work for an oil/gas drilling contractor. The oil shale that they are talking about here was well-known thirty years ago. Shale is porous but not permeable therefore the oil can't move through the formation to get to a well bore. The only known way in the early 80s was the retort method: as in a chemistry lab heat it up until the shale breaks down then collect the oil. In 1982 dollars it cost $90/ barrel to get it out. I don't know what today's equivalent is but it is expensive.

Another way that was tried "somewhere" was blasting it out with a nuclear device. All they got was radioactive oil. I read an article about the then Soviet Union's experiments using nuclear materials. There was a hint that they had managed to reduce the radioactivity factor but no one was able to confirm the results and the Soviet Union's end soon after kept it unconfirmed.