Steering arm ball joint seals on 1930 7th series

34PackardRoadsta

Dear All,

I am looking for information on the ball joint seals on the steering arm for my 1930. What material are they comprised? I am postulating leather, but mine are in a very disintegrated state. Also, where might I find replacement seals, or do I just make em.

I have included two photos to clarify. The first is the seals <span style="font-style: italic">in situ</span>. The second is the seals <span style="font-style: italic">on bench</span>.

As per usual, thanks tons for your help.

Best Regards,

Tom

post-54016-143138007201_thumb.jpg

post-54016-143138007204_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

I made them for the '29s, from piece of thick leather. Used an old one as a pattern, cut them out, punched holes with hammer-type hole-punch, put on a thick coating of saddle-soap to protect them. (Of course, every Good Texan has a tin of Saddle-soap in his jeans) laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made them for the '29s, from piece of thick leather. Used an old one as a pattern, cut them out, punched holes with hammer-type hole-punch, put on a thick coating of saddle-soap to protect them. (Of course, every Good Texan has a tin of Saddle-soap in his jeans) laugh.gif</div></div>

And a can of dip in his hip pocket smile.gif .

Thanks for the help. Would mink oil work instead of saddle soap. I have minks, but no saddles.

Cheers,

Tom

post-54016-143138007231_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

But how do you Convince the Minks to give you some Oil? laugh.gif

I don't know if Mink-oil will work, but I certainly would Not tell any other Real Texans that you used it! laugh.gif LOL laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packard32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom, on the 1932, they were made of rubber, and I'm making mine out of a piece of inner tube...mine are in about the same shape as yours... take care, B </div></div>Not sure what mine were originally some were far to gone to tell. But like 32 I made mine out of some rubber gasket material.

Guest imported_Speedster

I used black leather-die on the brown-leather seats (from a '88 Cadillac Cimarron) in my '34 Ford and looks good and has stayed that way for many years. But the '29 dust covers I just painted at the same time I painted every thing else. Black epoxy primer Paint adhears to them even with the saddle-soap on them, but leather-die would be the best to use first, before any type sealer.