F/S Oldsmobile Experimental Hi-Rise Intake

Guest JRZYBOB442

Guest JRZYBOB442

This FACTORY EXPERIMENTAL HI-RISE ALUMINUM intake manifold is a one-off used for evaluation of the replacement for the 1966 tri-carb manifold and discarded, though it did lead to the 1970 aluminum W-30 and W-31 manifolds.

Marked "EA 18743" where "EA" Stands for "Experimental Application" and "18743" stands for the test number. The manifold is a true high rise unit, not the low-rise aluminum unit later fitted to W-Cars. It contains the same heat riser block offs as used on the 1966 tri-carb, which are in place.

The mainfold is in perfect condition and is unwarped, uncracked, and ready to be mounted. Also included is the test 4-barrel Quadrajet.

Pictures are available and if you are a serious buyer. I will take whatever other images you would like.

I am willing to part with this piece of History for $3,000.00 - know it is worth much, much more.

Please e-mail me at bob.gerometta@wildaboutcars.com for pictures and additional information.

With all due respect, I think a true Olds numbers expert (or two) would need to authenticate the manifold, and then , as you say, it would be worth much more then $3000, perhaps.

Joe P, what do you think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BJM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With all due respect, I think a true Olds numbers expert (or two) would need to authenticate the manifold, and then , as you say, it would be worth much more then $3000, perhaps.

Joe P, what do you think? </div></div>

Not sure I'm an "expert" on this subject, but I will say that Olds definitely cast some unusual experimental intake manifolds. I own two of them, the dual Q-jet crossram in my avatar and an eight-hole Weber intake. There was a two page photo spread of experimental Olds engines in the July 1969 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. My two intakes are on engines in that photo. There is also a high rise 4bbl intake in the picture.

Both of my intakes have "ERxxxxxx" casting numbers. I assume that means "engineering research" or something like that. I've not seen an "EA" number, but that doesn't mean it isn't real. I also have a photo of an experimental TBI intake for the 307s.

As for the worth, this is such a rare item that there is no price guide. The sale price will depend on how badly a buyer wants it. I bought both of my intakes at swap meets in SoCal in the early 1980s.

Guest Bob Kerr

Saw several experimental manifolds at one of the Olds National meets in Lansing on year. Guy must have had 4-5 of them. One I remember was a "mirror" W-30. It had the passages completely backwards to the production W-30 manifold. Story was it was to test why the counter rotating marine engines made 1-2hp less than the regular rotation engine. Story also was the "Mirror" intake didn't seem to matter. I guess they wrote it off as "the earths rotation was the cause". There was also a fiberglass "mock up" intake there. Neat stuff! He sold them pretty reasonable at the time $200 or less if I remember right.

• 1 month later...

"EA" Stands for "Experimental Application" and "18743" stands for the test number? That sounds a little creative to me.

I worked in the Olds Experimental Assembly Department, in Building 64, where we hand built experimental engines, transmissions, other components, and whole cars from scratch.

All experimental parts were stamped with an ‘Index Number’. That’s what to look for - a stamped number. There ought to be records to validate part numbers, maybe at the museum.