looking for rear window 1955 olds 98 holiday

Guest sixsuper

Guest oldslady liz

wow is it hard to find a rear window for a 1955 olds 98 holiday..i would like to replace mine because it has some scratches in the glass...maybe done by an animal as it sat in a barn or garage... tried to get the scratches rubbed out but better to replace it if i can ever find one..so if any one hears where i can one in pristine shape please let me know..thanks...

Liz

Guest Bob Call

Liz

You have a real challenge to find a new rear window. Hollander interchange manual shows this window fits 54 - 56 Olds Holiday coupes, and, 54 - 56 Buick Riviera coupes.

Guest oldslady liz

well shipping would be the only way for me at this time.. it has to be pristene... condition... also has to be for 98 not 88 but i do not know if they are different.. i know the 98 is much longer then 88 but not sure if it is wider.. thanks....

Liz: The rear glass is 59 inches wide-as measured from the top, inside corner directly across the inside to the opposite inside top corner. At the center on the outside the glass measures 15 3/4 inches high. The glass is marked "LOF Safety Glass, and then has the code "AS-2-CX". I am not an OLDS expert, so perhaps someone else on the DF can help decifer.

I would say it's about as pristine as a used glass can be.

I will try to add a picture, but if you send me an email I can send several pictures. The glass could be shipped, but I would bet someone in the Club that lives near you would carry it home from Hershey.

Let me know.

post-31547-143138007587_thumb.jpg

Liz:

It appears what I have might be what you need. If you'd like, I can mail you a paper template from the glass that you can lay over your existing glass. You'll have to allow for the part of the glass that is contained within the rubber gasket, but I think that would allow you to confirm that this is the glass you need.

As far as price, the glass would be $150 plus shipping. I would estimate about $50 for shipping. You might want to post a new item on this forum, looking for someone from your part of the world who is coming to Hershey and is willing to bring the glass back.

If you want to proceed with the template, please email me. I'll send the other pictures at that time also.

If you're not interested, the glass will travel along to Hershey and be for sale in my Chocolate field spaces.

Guest Bob Call

Liz and Greenle

The code on auto glass, AS1 or AS2, has to do with the clarity of the view through the glass. Windshields must be AS1 to provide a good clear view with little or no distortion. Side and rear g;ass may be AS2 and nay not be as clear or distortion free as AS1 glass.

Guest imported_pete324rock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greenie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a rear glass hanging in the rafters of my storage building and it is marked '55-56 Olds. I will look tonight to see if it has any markings. Shipping the thing would be a bear-are you coming to hershey, or do you know someone who is?

gvongunten@comcast.net </div></div>

I hope it is really not hanging by the rafters cuz I had a new windshield for a '56 olds that I stored improperly and when I went to retrieve it after already removing my original glass,lo and behold,it had cracked down the middle from not being supported properly,and I suppose the heat in the attic didn't help much either.Should be stored upright I believe.(upright meaning sitting as it would in the windshield frame)

Guest oldslady liz

yes glass this old is fragile.. we have had a couple of experts look at the rear window because of the scratches and they said they could use a soft grinding tool and get it out and have it looking good but somewhere down the road it could just shatter because it is thinner after they do this.. we have one more guy who wants to look at it and try a different method but i doubt that will be satisfactory either.. thats why i am looking to just replace it.

Liz:

I'll email the pictures this evening. They will give you some idea about shape and condition, but a windshield looks like a windshield, etc.

I made a simple paper template of the outside surface. I can mail it to you; and you can simply lay it over your existing glass to get a better idea if this is in fact the right glass.

If you want the template, just email me your address after you get the pictures later today, and I'll put the template in the mail tomorrow.

The glass is in very nice condition. It was obviously once in a car, and there is a small amount of "fogginess" in places where the rubber weatherstrip covers the glass. However, once it's installed- what you see will be nearly flawless.

We do need to get this decided before I depart for Hershey on Wednesday morning 10/8. Thanks.

Guest oldslady liz

anyone from new york {upstate between syracuse and rochester going to Hershey next week??} i need someone to pick up rear glass for olds ... from Greenie if your going.. please let me know....thanks very much....Liz