Ext. Temperature, Slow Read

Guest G Froelich

Guest G Froelich

Just wondering what the average time is for the outside temperature gauge to read up or down to the real temperature. Mine always starts with where it left off (usually in the low 60s, having parked it at night) and then if the morning's already warm will take about 5 minutes to read up to the actual temperature. Is this a normal lag? Or should it be quicker than quicksilver?

Replaced the outside ambient air temperature sensor on my 89 last September, with a new one. Takes 3 to 4 minutes of driving before it corrects itself. I would think that's about the norm.

Guest steveskyhawk

Both my cars are slow to change temperature. When parked inside overnight side by side they read within one degree of each other. not bad!

This sounds pretty normal to me. Keep in mind that the outside temp is calibrated to read most accurately with the car in motion. There is a somewhat complex formula that calculates the readout temp based on the vehicle speed, engine temp and other factors. Standing still at idle will not yield correct reading and it takes a couple of minutes of driving for it to adjust to the scaled reading.

KDirk