Insurance

What antique car insurance company is the best? I've tried thru AARP but feel that Hartford is charging way too much at a little over $700 per year. I only drive my 16 Overland a few times in spring summer and fall. Colorado mountain winters discourage driving open cars. At one time I used Condon & Skelley but haven't an address for them. I am interested in price and how claims are handled.

BV,<P> I highly recommend J.C.Taylor Insurance Co. in Upper Darby, Pa. This is one company that will be there for you should you need them. You can check out their site at <A HREF="http://www.jctaylor.com" TARGET=_blank>www.jctaylor.com</A> <BR>Their phone number is 1-888-ANTIQUE to call for a price quote. I believe you'll be happy with their prices.<P>Rick

I back up what Rick posted. Have used J.C. Taylor for about 7 years for my TR-6. When I first took out the policy, I paid $40 for a bonded auto appraisal company to come out and look the car over.<P>Since then, I wanted to increase the coverage to $18,000. (This is peace-of-mind) If the car is stolen from a motel lot, burns to the ground in my shed, etc., it is covered.<P>NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE "AGREED VALUE". IF NOT, YOU WILL GET BLUE BOOK VALUE IF SOMETHING HAPPENS.<P>Regards,<P>Peter J. Heizmann

BV: Forgot to mention that I pay $106 per year for the coverage.<P>Also, J.C.Taylor is a strong supporter of the AACA with advertising dollars, a presence at various meets, etc., and, is a solid company.<P>Are you interested in joining the AACA?<P><BR>If so...<P>Antique Automobile Club of America<BR>P.O. Box 417<BR>Hershey, PA 17033-0417<P>717-534-1910<P>Regards, Peter J.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest COMPACTBC

I'm under the opinion that J.C. Taylor does not offer an "agreed value" policy, which is VERY important to have at the time of loss. An "Actual Cash Value" policy opens the door for a disagreement between the policy holder and the insurance company. The two major companies that offer an "agreed value" policy are Hagerty and Grundy, both advertise a lot in the hobby publications and I like Grundy the best because they DO NOT limit how far you can drive your car in a year. BTW I have over 30 years experience in the insurance brokerage business. smile.gif" border="0

I do not offten post a reply here, but in this case since I have had experience with both insurance companies mentioned so far I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I use J.C. Taylor and recommend them highly. About 20 years ago I had a 1929 Studebaker Commander sedan that was a solid driver in original condition. I had a full coverage policy with J.C. Taylor that was less than 100.00 a year that I took out on the car about 3 months before I left on a long trip with the '29. I trailered the car from Northern California to Las Vegas NV to a car meet. On the Return trip I hit a wind storm out in the Sourthern California desert that did major damage to my '29. I was using a open car trailer. When I got home I called J.C. Taylor, they sent a claims agent out right away and within a couple days I was paid in full for the damage to the car. Now with that experience like a fool years later I changed cars and decided for the heck of it to try another old car insurance company. I switched to Grundy. I don't know why, just did. Anyway, sending in the yearly renewal payment is a not priority for my spouse and her timing was a little slow and I got a policy cancellation notice from Hargerty & Grundy. I called to find out why. They received the payment 1 day late and instead of applying the payment to an excisting policy they cancelled the policy sent me the notice and returned my check. I was told that if I wanted to continue with them I would have to reapply and the application would have to be revewed and I would be notified if I was going to be issued a new policy. I said the heck with that I called J.C. Taylor and got a new policy right away and have been with them ever since with no problems. I now have a 1929 Studebaker President Brougham and have full coverage for slightly more than 100.00 a year. Can't beat the service and coverage for that. smile.gif" border="0<P>[ 09-09-2001: Message edited by: Mark Huston ]<p>[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: Mark Huston ]

Mark ~ You mention getting a bad deal from Hagerty & Grundy. WHO gave you the bad deal, Hagerty <B>OR</B> Grundy? confused.gif" border="0<P>These are two different insurance companies and it is not fair to condemn one for the sins of the other. I doubt that either of the principals of these two entirely separate insurance companies would be interested in becoming Hagerty & Grundy. They probably would have a terrible time in agreeing on a name; Hagerty & Grundy or Grundy & Hagerty.<P>I do not use either one, so I have no personal interest in this issue, just one of fairness. I have been a satisfied J.C. Taylor customer since 1967 [34 years]. smile.gif" border="0 <P>hvs

COMPACTBC: After reading that frightening article in Old Cars last year about that fellow who lost a whole stable full of mostly convertibles and had no "agreed value", I phoned J.C.Taylor. They told me I have agreed value.<P>Best regards, Peter J.

Peter ~ I have always felt that when you place a stated value on an application and pay the fee for that valuation as established by the seller of the insurance and he accepts your payment and issues a certificate of insurance showing that agreed stated value; you have a valid contract.<P>Offer - consideration - acceptance. Sounds like a pretty clear contract to me.<P>But then I am not a lawyer and I don't even play one on TV, so that is just my opinion.<BR>Any attorneys out there who would be willing to correct me or back me up?<P>hvs<P>Another thought -- Where are you are most likely to get screwed is when you insure your antique vehicles with an ordinary insurance company that normally insures modern, and therefore depreciating vehicles.<BR>There is no stated value on most such coverages and so you are at the mercy of the insurance company, and we all know "they take no prisoners." Again, I am not a pro, but this seems to be the case.<P>Most companies like Taylor, Hagerty and Grundy who specialize antique automobile insurance seem to have the vehicle's value stated on the policy. So-- back to offer - consideration - acceptance.<BR> cool.gif" border="0<p>[ 09-09-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

hvs - Please excuse my faulty brain cells, I am recovering from surgery and trying to keep from going insane from boredom. I rechecked my records and you are right. My fried brains cells got confused and the company I used was "The James A. Grundy Agency", I took out the policy on July 18, 1996. This time I looked it up (should have done that in the first place), my apologies for not looking this up the first time.

I am not a lawyer, or, insurance pro myself. <P>Websters's defines:<P>STATED: 1.) Fixed, or, set, as by agreement. 2.) Declared, especially in specific terms; expressed.<P>AGREED: Settled, or, determined by mutual consent (pay the agreed price).<P>My interpretation and understanding of the AGREED FIGURE is the mutual consent equates to the agreed price of the automobile appraiser's results. (I paid $40.00 for a bonded appraiser to come out and inspect my Triumph. Received a copy of his evaluation and forwarded it to Taylor, who, in turn, issued the policy based on this. After about 5 years, I phoned Taylor to up the agreed price for a nominal rate increase in premiums.)<P>If I remember correctly, the man who lost all those convertibles had "stated" value. His warning in the article was to make sure you have AGREED VALUE so this tragedy does not happen to the reader. He was paid a small fraction of the value of the collection. <P>As Howard stated, none of us are pros. We should collectively investigate/clarify this topic so none of us are blindsided should something happen.<P>Anyone out there that can help??<P>Regards, Peter J. grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

Mark ~ If you are recovering from surgery and bored beyond belief, jump into this forum more often. You will find it a wonderful way to pass the hours, have some fun while doing so and maybe even gain some unexpected knowledge from it.<P>However you have to be careful as it can become an addiction. Fortunately I am retired and live where the weather isn't too good for at least 6 month of the year, and that keeps me indoors more than you guys in California. I shudder to think about the hours I "WASTE" grin.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0 playing on here, but boy have I learned a lot relating to my 40 year hobby. ~hvs smile.gif" border="0

Howard,<BR> You should be careful nowdays using this word "addiction" . Today's modern liberals feel that "addiction" is a mental illness. Do you consider your involvement with the board as an "illness" or just a habit? We conservatives consider it only an addictive "habit".